maths- what happens when you complete prog and are unsuccessful

hi there.

so far in my maths programme we have reached the half way mark with dots.

i would like to know, if your child hasnt mastered the instant maths technique when you finish all the dots what do you do.

do you start all over again but keep the equations at a higher level or what.

have any of you been in that position?

i tried a few problem solving sessions yesterday. the first 2 times( on seperate occasions in the day) he got right. the next 2 were unsuccessful. i regarded it as a win win situation the way doman says.

if however i complete the dots and he hasnt mastered the technique what do i do?

i am very consistent on my programme.

3 number quantity sessions consisting of 10 cards and 3 equation sessions of 4 eqn.

thanks in advance

Hi there,

May I ask how to show to the baby the Damon equations initially?

Say, to show him 4+1=5, do I first show him a card with four dots, then say the words “four plus” without showing any card with the plus sign, then show him the card with one dot and say the word “one”, then show him the card with five dots and say the words “equal five”?

In what I described above, is it correct to just show the cards four, one and five, without showing any cards with the “plus” and “equal sign” symbols?

Thank you for any help!!!

tse_844

thats the doman method of doing equations
perfectly fine.
the child somehow grasps the concept and figures out what the word plus means without seeing the sign.

Dear fatima786,

We are in a similar situation like yours. We went until 50 and finished plus-equation (We use LM). But my daughter loses interest.

I gave her some problem solving (with real cards) like chosing the right number and plus-equation. She seems to get it right by small numbers under 10 but not above.

Now we are kind of testing what she already knows and what not.
And we would go back and show her numbers from 10 on. I think the our key problem is to make math fun for her and to get her “concentrate” somehow. :confused:
My daughter is 18 1/2 months and shoud be not to late for Doman’s Maths.

Did you test her with small numbers?

Somewhere on this forum KL said that we could also do +1, and +2 equations. Maybe I will try to teach her on that way first - everything with Trial and Error.

I would also like to know about success / unsucces of other parents who follow the math program.

Fatima and Aguh,

Could you please tell me if you used a preset downloaded from this website or if you created your own equations?

Thanks!

Dear Joha,

I first used the equations from DomanMom http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspx

for one week, then I switched to Random equation at LM.

With real cards I create random equations, too, because the numbers are still small for me to calculate while picking the cards.

The reason why I was asking is because I downloaded the equations from a program that was posted here and what I have noticed is that my daughter gets bored because they are too long. There are 9 equations and each equation has 5 cards which will bring us to a total of 45 cards in one session. What I’m going to try is to split them in maybe two or three sessions even if I can only get through two sessions a day. I’m on schedule with the number cards, but I’m behind with the equations because of this issue.

Maybe you can also try this to keep your baby engaged.

I’ll let you know how it goes with my daughter.

At one session (with LM) we show her 5-10 numbers, then do 3 equations. We do 3 sessions a day.

Aguh,

This is just my humble opinion. I think that it may be a good idea to take a break from math right now. If she doesn’t seem to be interested right now, it doesn’t mean she doesn’t like math, she may not be into it just at this moment. There are so many interesting things going on right now that it may not be her thing right now :wink: Maybe if you take a couple of weeks break and reintroduce it where you left off may work. Again this is what I would try if I was in your situation, but not scientific reasoning behind it. This is what I came up with based and all the staff I have read so far.

I’m sure you will do great! :slight_smile:

I don’t think you are being unsuccessful in your program at all. You gave a test 4 times in one day? I don’t know that the goal is “mastery” like you say. What does mastery mean, to get every question right every time you ask? You want your child to be able to perform instant math, which it seems he did in the first two sessions you gave him. In the second 2 sessions, I would not say that he performed the instant math and got the question wrong, I would say he did not do the calculation at all because he did not feel like it. If I were you I would continue on the program consistently like you have been, give him test 1-2x a week, and only stop if he is crying or unhappy during the sessions. It seems like you are making good progress compared to other information I have read about math programs, I would stick to it.

hi there aguh and joha.

i am also using LM random equations.
i didnt test till yesterday. and that was a problem solving. the first time i used 36 and 37. he got it right. i didnt try with small numbers. when he gets it wrong i tell him “this ones 23” “winner!!!” because i feel bad. i dont want him to sense my dissapointment. maybe problem solving isnt for us.

joha i am aghast at your suggestion of stopping!!! do u know how organised i am!!! just kidding. it will make me nuts knowing that i have LM and wont be able to use it.
sa’ad isnt crazy about the maths but he doesnt hate it either. he looks at the screen though.
joha do you think that if i give him a 2 week break he will realise what he is missing?
and see the error of his ways!
what if i stop and he realises life is better without it. he is also 2years and a month so time is of the essence.

maybe i should show equations only for a week or 2 and then continue with quantity.
what do you think?

hi there kappasweet.

i actually did it as a problemsolving not test. (i am not a bad mommy!!! jj)

i hadnt ever problem solved before.
i was reading the doman maths book and they said we can problem solve after the equation session. so thats what i tried doing. its like a give and take thing.

by master i mean that he must accomplish what the program is meant for him to accomplish. thats the only word i could think of at the time. i dont put expectations on him at all as knowledge is a gift, but would like to know what to do in my situation.

I created my own equasions and put them into the schedule. I also modified schedule a little bit in a way that I introduced equasions after we reached 40, not 20 ( just to keep the session fast and get myself some time to organise, :smiley: )

From what I understood, one of the important factors is to keep sessions VERY short. Doman suggests only 5 numbers per set/session, and also to keep equasion as a separate sessions, from what I understood ( correct me if I am wrong). I am very very tempted to combine sessions because my daughter really enjoys it now and takes it all in. But that is where a possibility of future non-interest might come, when we put too much in each session.

I guess that was the reason I created my own pre-sets, based on that council from oters and from Doman, to keep sessions very short ( not 10 numbers, but five), and keep them ( all nine ( or seven if you chose to do only 2 random numbers session) all separate)

So trying to keep it very short, and rapidly going to some other activity, that child enjoys, might help you to integrate the math in your routine, while not making a big deal of it in the eyes of the child. But… it all goes in.

I really hope it will be working for you

I am sure you are doing a great job, and sometimes we just dont see results right away

Ok, I did not know about problem solving after equation sessions. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and purchase the doman math book so I can have a better idea about the program. I still think you should keep doing what you’re doing, I don’t think you will be unsuccessful.

ETA: ok, I forgot I had the book “How to multiply your baby’s intelligence” and I read the math section and it had information there about “problem solving opportunity” that you put at the end of the equations. I get it now! Not a test at all.

lol the math program is intense and can be tricky!
i had read the how to multiply your baby’s intelligence book but i only understood the program when i looked at schedules posted here and read through posts.

now ive just borrowed the how to teach your baby maths from a friend.

Fatima,

First of all, I agree with kappasweet, I don’t think you guys have been unsucessful. I’m sorry if I didn’t explain myself well. Now, my message was directed to Aguh because she mentioned her baby was loosing interest. That is why I thought that maybe they could take a break and it was just a suggestion. I now this is not what we would like to hear, we are so excited about all their learning. Having said that we need to follow our children cues because I also think that if we force them the results can be the opposite of what we are looking for with the teaching.

I hope this makes sense.

hi joha

i understand what you mean. i think i should also give it a weeks break though. it seems i am enjoying maths more than my son is. it is important to follow their cue. although he looks at the screen something tells me that he isnt enjoying it 100% right now. i dont see that spark. doman says learning is suppose to be joyful.
i actually have to thank u because otherwise i wouldnt have followed my instinct and right now my instinct is telling me to give it a break.

i need to bring the joy back somehow. thats what will make it successful.

Dear Joha, Kappasweet and Skylark

Thank you for your advices. I slept a night through it and now I can put everything better together.

In the second 2 sessions, I would not say that he performed the instant math and got the question wrong, I would say he did not do the calculation at all because he did not feel like it.

Kappasweet, that makes sense. I didn’t think about that before. But I remember that in the Domans’ book they mentioned it, too. They said the child only showed his/her knowledge if he/she wish to do so or felt like it. I will keep that in mind now.

Joha and Skylark, I will shorten the session to 5 numbers and equations seperately… So maybe we aren’t able to do the program as fast as proposed (because 9 sessions math a day is too much for me to organise).

I was afraid of not having enough time to go through the math program and that she will be to late for Doman’s Math one day. I have read that DomanMom’s Hunter have learned math successful in spite of he started late at almost 30months. But I was still afraid that my daughter could lose her dots perception ability sooner. So I wanted stick to the program and also with its speed. But know I understand that the most important thing is to get her interest, otherwise she seems not to learn at all or just very very little.

I still think I need to teach her the “higher numbers” above 10 again. But with short sessions and using ret dots instead of icons in LM.

Actually we have taken breaks from maths several times already since I often felt that she is not like math much. Now I am unsure about taking break again.

Recently I have read the free online book from right brain kids, there they explain why teaching should be joyful (Doman only said that but did not explan why) - because the right brain is activated/active by being peaceful, calmful, joyful, loved or in another word, by being in alpha wave. If they are angry then their righ brain seems not to get in the information properly.

I will let you know about our progress.

By the way, that would still be great if some of you could tell about your math programm story and how you overcome failures. The Math program seems to be more difficult to teach and to pass then the reading program. One reasing is it’s more difficult to make math interesting all time.

"Joha and Skylark, I will shorten the session to 5 numbers and equations seperately… So maybe we aren’t able to do the program as fast as proposed (because 9 sessions math a day is too much for me to organise). "

You can always try to skip two dots sessions, some other people here mentioned it worked for them… Doing 1 and 2nd 5 cards sessions in order; then 3 and 4th randomly, and skipping another 2 random sessions. It should be OK, since you will be continuing showing these cards to your child afterwards as part of equasions…

It also was difficult for me to plan 9 separate sessions. What worked for me ( Thank you, Trinity Papa for suggestion), I have each session with two sets of 5 numbers ( so it is in fact session 1 and session 2), I show the first set, then switch activity and do some other activity for a few minutes, usually some action, or something very different from the math dots, and then do the second 5 number set from the given session. This way works the best for me, as we are out a lot due to my work, and sometimes can not do much “official” :smiley: school time for large portions of the day.

About Red Dots

I created my sessions in LR, and customised them using red dots only, as I feel it works better for my daughter and helps her to concentrate, somewhat of a uniformed approach. You can download the pre-sets that I made at

http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=218

And here I explained the details about these pre-sets : http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/gd-math-dots-sessions-available!-updated/

Hope it will be a help…