Math Games and Activities

Help your child apply math in real life

You know the interests of your child and the activities that he enjoys and you can always make use of them to incorporate math lessons. Learning math the fun way can mean associating those numbers in real life. Learning math does not always mean boring calculations and problem solving. If your child loves playing ball games, you may want to start by letting him add up scores during the game. You may also want to bring your child along while doing your groceries and shopping, and make her add up the prices of items and teach her rounding off numbers, subtraction as well as multiplication. To make it more exciting for her, buy her favorite toy or favorite goodies. She will be more than willing to add those prices for you.

Math puzzles and riddles

Also one of the many math games and activities you can think of in making your child’s learning fun is to encourage them to solve math puzzles and riddles. You can make your own, or you can find some popular puzzles like sudoku, where your child can develop good logic as well. It is important to note however that you should start with easy-to-solve puzzles so they will still keep the motivation. Frustration can easily come if they find the puzzles too hard to solve, so avoid it as much as possible.

Board games

Another math games and activities that you want to add to your list are board games that involve calculations, counting as well as money handling. Chess and checkers are also good board games that you can use to have fun and teach your child identify patterns. These are also good board games to help them develop logical skills and strategies. Other board games that are also very good ways to teach them basic skills in math are monopoly and the game of life. These games allow your child to count steps after they roll the dice, buy, sell things, count money and apply the basic math skills of addition, subtraction and multiplication.

You can also find many web resources that offer creative ideas to make math fun to learn for your children. Educational toys and flash cards can also help. You can also let your child practice on worksheets to develop his confidence in math. Indeed, many children develop anxiety over math problems and one thing that you can do to help him overcome it is to let them practice in worksheets - but try to make it fun and creative as well.

Keep in mind however that math games and activities are not substitutes for studying and doing assignments. Make them supplementary activities to help your child learn easily and a way to develop confidence in solving math problems in school.

Hi, My kids is interested in Maths, but if I ask him to do some numbering activities he is not ready. Your post has given me some ideas to make his numbering activities very interesting. I will give a try. Thank you!

My kid does not like Maths at all.

There are a lot of fun math online games on Math Is Fun. My friend is an elementary school teacher and she frequently uses this site.
The games are divided into levels of diffuculty/age group.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/games/index.html