Math Envy

Ugh! I have been doing math with my 8 yr old son every morning since June. I am trying to get him to memorize his addition math facts. We are up to doing 100 math problems daily. We are working on 1 thru 3 addends ( i.e +1, +2, +3). He is using Touch Math so he is counting on the numbers. I thought it would evolve into memorization but it hasn’t. I am incorporating 2 ideas together. I taught him touch points from Touch Math. Also I fashioned worksheets to emulate Kumon because I like the intense focus on self directed practice and repetition. I think my son needs alot of practice to internalize any new facts. Also he has trouble working independently and the Kumon style seems to promote good independent work habits. Anyway I have been very proud of his efforts and he is becoming more focused and independent. However he has only memorized 3 math facts - 1+1=2, 2+2=4, and 3+3=6. For everything else he is still counting the touch points. Also I am anticipating difficulty with addends greater than 5 because he gets confused with the double touchpoints. In spite of everything, I have decided to focus on the goals not the obstacles. My plan is to just take it real slow in the hopes that much repetition will eventually lead to automaticity and memorization. I was feeling happy with this plan.

Then today my neighbor bragged that after just 4 sessions at Aloha Math her 6 yr old is doing double digit mental addition and subtraction. Now I have severe math envy. I’m having urges to enroll my son in Aloha Math. Logically I know it is a terrible plan because I just got Touch Math added to his IEP and I can’t keeping changing techniques. He has ADHD and consistency is very important. So I talked myself down from changing math plans. Then for a brief moment, I satisfied myself with visions of my 4 yr old daughter excelling in Aloha Math. Then I realized that I don’t really want my daughter to do mental math and it won’t satisfy this envy. My daughter already reads very well and I do some math with her too. I want my son to finally be really good at something - specifically math. He loves science and wants to be a scientist, so math proficiency is very important. I know it isn’t fair to compare him to other kids or to expect the same the results. I am very proud of his efforts and reliability. He shows up at the kitchen table every morning ready to do math. I don’t even need to nag. So tonight I’m going to bed chanting “adversity builds character.” My son is far more interesting than most kids. He dreams about black holes and infinite alternate universes. Hopefully I’m his mommy in all of them forever into infinity.

Here is the Aloha Math link:
http://www.aloha-usa.com/?gclid=CMna5eHRoKoCFaZd5QodYyNeVw

Lori

I’m not convinced by the Aloha Math stuff I saw on the website. Question for them: do its elementary school graduates get to calculus years before other students? Are their grades in math significantly better both immediately and later on? Will they retain the ability to do mental math into their teen and adult years?

If they can’t answer (supported by convincing evidence) “yes” to these questions, then I have to wonder if their mental math techniques aren’t ultimately a gimmick, i.e., the teaching of tricks. Like it or not, math is primarily and ultimately a “left-brained” activity. I’m not saying you can’t benefit through techniques described as “right-brain,” and for all I know, this Aloha Math stuff would help a lot. Maybe I’ll look into this (or similar programs) with H. I’m saying that the understanding of subjects like geometry, algebra, and calculus involves grasp and application of rules and explicit, logical, “left-brained” thinking. Being able to do certain kinds of calculations quickly won’t make you a math genius. In fact, if it did, wouldn’t we on BrillKids.com know about it?

The point is, I think it would be great to be able to do calculations mentally that usually require a calculator. This would be both useful and very cool. But, unless I’m mistaken, this is a different skill from mastering math as it is taught in school.

As to your son, I can sympathize. I think you’re right to stick with a method for a while.

DadDude,

You are right. There is a bit of gimmick to the whole operation. The general website didn’t have any tuition info so I went to the website for the Aloha Math Franchise near me. It didn’t have tuition info either, but it did have unexpected prerequisites. To register for the cycle of Junior classes, the kids have to be 5 or 6 yrs old and must be able to read and write numbers up to 100. My son is too old for that group. To register for the Senior’s Group, the kid must be between 7 and 12 yrs old and needs to know their math facts up to multiplication by 9’s. My son doesn’t even know his addition facts yet. Perhaps the kids are learning the math facts on their own, and the program just expands on those facts - not very helpful for my particular situation. I value kids memorizing their math facts. However, there are limited situations where 4 digit mental calculations are useful, especially since everyone carries a calculator on their cell phone. I’m just desperate for any solution that will help my son gain math proficiency.

Lori

Actually this technique is taught in other countries around the world. Particularly ones that teach math using the abacus.
It seems to carry on. I once watched a video on You Tube with a boy from another country using the abacus technique. If you watch the video ( very little of it is in English but you can catch the jist of the show) you will see the adults in the audience checking whether the boy is right or not by using the very same technique. So I would say that it does carry on in life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGBcUklMBE

Mental math definitely is an important skill to have. I wish I had. There’s times people throw numbers at me and I have to stop and think and add in my head or have to write in on paper.

I say anything that helps a child in the long run is worth doing and at least trying. I wish we had something like this in our area, But we don’t live near a big enough city. LOL