Making progress

I haven’t posted about my oldest reading on here because compared to what others much younger were doing it was pretty embarrassing. I regretted waiting until 5 to teach her because she wasn’t a natural and it was a lot of work. About a month ago she finally started reading picture books and now her progress has been much faster. Her school sends home books at their reading level every day and she went from having really easy books in there to more complex books. She jumped a whole grade level in a month. Her reading level isn’t amazing but with the progress she is making I am no longer worried about her. My 4 year old is following a similar path where he isn’t just picking it up and is working hard and getting stuck but at least now I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I didn’t totally mess her up dd by not doing EL stuff with reading with her. I can’t tell if my 2 year old is picking anything up either but it will be ok. They will get there. I am sharing because I can’t be the only one who kids didn’t pick it up reading super easily or who was feeling guilty about waiting so long. I need to work on math more with them now.

Teaching kids to read is a valuable life long skill. It doesn’t matter when you start so long as you make sure they learn it. You will be surprised at just how much your influence has helped her learn to read. Just the fact that you view it as important is helping. Keep up the great work!