Making books from retired word cards -UK

I’m in the UK and would like to start using our retired word cards. I’ve seen lots of ideas on another site on what to buy to make books, but it seemed to be people in the US and we don’t have those products or shops here in the UK!

So if you’re in the UK, what do you use to make them and where do you buy the stuff?

If you’re not in the UK, tell me your ideas anyway, in case there are no British people on here to reply at all!

What you said sounds interesting, but what do you mean? Are you talking about large Doman-type flash cards? How do you make books out of them?

Here’s how I made my early books:

one the left page there would be the word, on the right page there would be the picture

I printed these on cardstock (Note-WalMart sells cardstock 150 sheets for $4–cheapest place around)

Then I laminated them (Note-WalMart sells a laminator for less than $50 and Sam’s Club has laminating sheets for ten cents each)

Finally, I took them to the college to have them bound using spiral binding. I work at a university, and it only costs about fifty cents to have them bound. When they’re finished, they look SO professional and hold up so well!

KL- yes, I was under the impression people were using their huge Doman word cards and making books from them. Are they really re-writing them smaller? Ours aren’t that huge as we started late so printing is smaller but they don’t fit how I want them to, the book would have to flip up and over instead of to the side like a normal book.

I really don’t understand how you would be able to make books out of the Doman cards - they are huge! (like 2+ feet across!). Why would you want to turn them into a ‘book’ anyway? By “book”, I presume you mean just a binded one with all the cards bound together, right?

If the idea is to keep them together, then perhaps you can holepunch them and keep them together with one of those metal rings.

If you are redoing them into smaller cards, then it wouldn’t really be reusing the retired cards, would it? And if you are redoing them, why does it need to be doman cards anymore? Why not just print out your own on A4 paper using Powerpoint or Little Reader?

I’m sorry, I guess I misunderstood what I’ve been reading about making books from retired words.

I don’t have a printer, I don’t have Little Reader, I don’t have lots of time, so I thought I could just stick my cards (which are not as big as traditional Doman ones) in something to make books.

If your cards are a standard A4 sheet of paper size you could get some sheet protectors that you are able to just slide the flash card into. Then put the sheets into a three ring binder.

Or, if you could find a photo album that had sheets large enough to fit your cards you could just slide them into there.

I think a flip-up book would be just fine with these options also. I hope that helps some.