Make your own board books

Y’all are so inspiring! :biggrin:

So, I tried making my own book. I made a flip book. The word is on the page, then you flip it up and see the picture. I used words and pictures I glued to cardstock, then put them between contact paper (the kind they sell for laminating. I’m not sure what the difference is. Perhaps it is glossier?). I left extra conact paper where I wanted the seam to be, then sewed the pages together using my sewing machine with a zigzag stictch. I must say, it was a lot of work. I’m not sure how often I will do that. :wink: But the baby likes it. :biggrin:

I also saw that shutterfly was mentioned. I liked to scrapbook on my computer. I have had them make snapbooks for me (of my scrapbook pages) a couple of times (I think it was cheaper back when :huh: …). I just wanted to say that I liked the snapbooks. The pages are as thick as good quality photo paper, and with glossy prints, the pages wipe off if there are little spills. Basically, they are spiral bound glossy photos with a plastic front and back. The photobooks are not they same. They are made of thinner paper. And I noticed you can now add captions and borders.

Here are a few photos.
Thanks again for the help and encouragement!

These are great ideas, I cant wait to get started on making my own.

Awesome work, THen!

Then thats great thanks :smiley:

I purchased my board book blanks from www.oreintaltrading.com, measured my book, then used power point to create my book, glued the odd pages on then laminating them by folding over a little on each side then glued the even pages on then laminted them but with no fold over. I used elmers glue that I brushed on. I allow it to dry for an hour under a bunch of books for weight.

However you can use a sketch pad or a spiral book that has heavy cardstock pages that are blank. Just print and glue your pages on and you can even laminate.

I also have purchased a kit that makes board books but you have to laminate them.

I got word back from a publisher who is willing to publish board books for us!!! All that I am waiting on is his confirmation on the price. So cross your fingers.

Thank you, mother of faith!

I didn’t know oriental trading co. had board books! What a great find!
And publishing books, what an idea. :slight_smile:

Hi mother of Faith & everyone,
I would like your advise of how should I bind the pages together? Right now I am using normal paper or card stock to print out and I use laminating pouches to laminate them.

Thanks

Wow! And I thought I was creative with making “lift the flap” books out of little photo albums! You all are amazing!!! And so inspiring!

HI Kizudo,
Can you teach me how to make the lift the flap books out of photo albums? Is it possible if you can show me a photo, please? What a great idea!

It’s really quite simple…not even close to playing in the big leagues like the rest of you board book creators! …but it’s an easy place to start from.

All I do is buy some cardstock. I then decide what the theme of the book is. I just finished one on body parts (I took a photo of my son and enlarged and cropped the various parts) and one on colour.

Imagine a piece of cardstock that you’ve trimmed off 1/2 an inch off the side (portrait) so that it now measures 8 x 11. This will be cut in half vertically to give you two pieces 4x11. These will each be a page (and a flap).

This is the way I made the colour one:

1. choose the colours & a photo for each colour. (ie. White - Grandpa’s beard is white, Pink - Mommy’s pyjama pants are pink., etc)

2. in Word, select columns. At the bottom of column one type your colour, at the bottom of column two type your sentence. Cut the half inch off one side of your paper and separate the two columns by cutting them apart.

3. go to a paint store and snag some paint sample cards for each of your colours (shhh…)

4. fold your papers in half so that the word/sentence is on the outside (this is the “flap” part)… Open the flap that has the colour word on it and glue in the paint card, open the flap that has the sentence and glue in your photo…

5. stick the part with the paint card into the clear photo pocket, do the same with the photo part of the other folded paper and presto! a flap book!

Hope this makes sense…

I just got back from the local 2nd hand store. I bought 4 small board books for $1 CDN! I’m going to try one of the ideas suggested here & put my own pictures on (I think I’ll use contact cement) and mactac (clear contact paper)…I’m so excited to try it! Thanks for the ideas!

***Mother of Faith - let us know if you DO decide to get into the business of making boardbooks! I’m sure it would be a hit!

I wouldn’t use contact cement. It has a very strong smell and a lot of bad chemicals. I don’t think it would be good for a baby to play with and put in his mouth.

Thanks for the reminder. I’m usually careful with that sort of thing - I only use my felt markers outside so that he doesn’t smell the ink… What would you recommend to use to stick paper to the shiny board book paper?

I have never made my own books. Maybe one of the other ladies have a suggestion. I’m sure regular old Elmer’s glue would work just fine if you are going to laminate or cover the pages anyways.

I like contact paper. That way paper doesn’t turn mushy when it gets wet. The contact paper will hold the picture on the page if you leave enough contact paper around the edge. :slight_smile:

Actually I am working on it right now.

You can also use mod podge or clear acrylic spray over your photos. To glue the photos to the board book you can use a sugar water mix, or you can purchase non-toxic photo glue that is some what expensive. You can also use something like liguid nail that doesn’t have an odor, it is found at a local hardware store, it is for plastic, it is a premanet adhesive, and waterproof, that comes in the tubes that you have to use a cocking gun for, you just brush it on using a foam brush.

If you are interested in publishing a board book, let me know I will be glad to do for you, it is all through email. I have just published one right now. If you email me or PM me I will be glad to send the info to you on how to and how much that it costs, and a sample photo is included. remnantsoflove@yahoo.com

Hi Mother of faith,
Thanks for your tips, will make a trip to hardware store to see if they sell it.

Your welcome! I also think that decopuge may work as well. And I noticed today at the local store that there are spray adhesives for photos.

I have made many board books for my son by covering over old books I purchased at the second hand store for 25 cents. This is a time consuming method though and I have since come up with a different way.

I use magnetic photo albums. I have attached pictures so you know what I am talking about. It is so much easier since all you do is put your words or pictures betweeen the pages.

These albums are not expensive. I have also picked up many at second hand stores and garage sales.

I also cut these pages in half to use for word and picture cards that I use for flashing

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I have some that I can actually recycle. Our photo shop gives them away. Great! K to you!