LR with 4 plus (or even younger) ideas

since one of my girls I use LR for is 4 and a half (but is still not too advanced in reading) here are some modifications to the course I made. They seem to work well with 3 y.o. too :slight_smile:

1. skip the word flash at times
  2. reset picture flash into word/media/word, no pic. audio presentation
  3. after few days of seeing the same words turn off the pronunciation too and put on auto forward - no pressure of testing and the word after the picture is always “read” plus I can monitor what she learned
    Do you moms and dads modify the course to suit your child/ren? How?

I turn the sound off and have him read the words to me. I also use paper flash cards to reinforce what he is learning on LR. I also keep repeating lessons from time to time until he knows all the words used

My son was looking away from the screen whenever the words would come on, so I hit mute, and found that he looked at the screen waaay more when I read them out loud vs. the computer. I will try some of your suggestions to customize it for my child.

I use LR with my 6 yr old. I made a wordflash (no pics or media) of his dolch sight words. Maybe you might want to start teaching the 4.5 yr old the sight words from the fry or dolch list. These are traditionally taught as sight words anyway starting in kindergarten so she would have a head start on them. I’ve already started using the fry list with my 2.5 yr old too. Once you add the fry or dolch words to the nouns and verbs in the LR curriculum, she will be able to read whole sentences.

My 2.5 yr old has lost interest in the LR curriculum, so lately we open the brillkids curriculum categories and only play the animal ones. Then I make up sentences using fry sight words and her favorite animals. Easy stuff - I see the panda; The dog can run; The horse is brown; The cat can jump. We read the sentences on LR with the pointer. She reads each word individually as I point to them. Little Reader is the best!

Good Luck, Lori

Thanks, Lori,
My 4.5 y.o. is progressing through the Ladybird Peter and Jane series and I use LR for word flashes too! I try to add to her reading vocabulary using the course. She is quite advanced in phonics as well :slight_smile: I like LR as it’s not so time consuming as making your own paper cards :slight_smile:

Great tips, everyone! Karma’d you all! :slight_smile: