LR and Doman

Hi Everyone,
My son is 4.5 months old and we are doing LR, LM, and LMs with him. We introduced all three programs slowly over the last four weeks and he seems to be enjoying them at the moment. We currently do these programs twice a day. I noticed that while he is enthusiastic about most components of the LR, he isn’t keen on sight words. I bought Doman’s “how smart is your baby” and “how to teach your baby to read” teaching packs. We were ding some components of these right from birth before we started LR. I was wondering if I should do sight words with physical flash cards. Wondering if anyone has experience with similar issue or could possibly weigh on on this.
Thanks in advance.

If you have time, I would do both LR and physical flash cards. The more opportunities your baby has, the more likely they will understand. Keeping baby interested is important and keeping them guessing on what activity comes next will keep them interested.

I use LR, YBCR, 2 types of flashcards, PowerPoint, games, iPad apps, star fall, and a few other activities. But my son has still lost interest. Currently on here searching for new ideas.

You baby is lucky to have you as a parent!

I used physical flashcards (math dots) from 3 to 7 months, and switched to PC later. I did not have particular reason; just feelings. But I recommend to try physical flashcards with such a little child because I had very different feelings and experience when I used them. Much closer contact with child; eye contact etc.

Thank you! We have started doing both and are having fun.

LR is good to introduce new program. It is give game, power point and ipad apps. But I recommended you physical flashcards. In physical flash card little children easily learn maths dots and this are easily switched in PCs.

Hi,

am new here. my girl (curretly 2 year old) has started LR when she was 3 mths, and nw is reading very well at the age of 2… much to the atnoshiment of many… my younger boy, now 3 mth is starting LR, which he seems to be enjoying. i however have questions for my younger boy., i’ve recently stated my older gal on flash cards which she loves, which makes me want to do them with my baby too. i’ve purchased a doman book on math, which states that per day i need to flash at least 9 sessions… noted that these sessions are only like a min a session, bt these are only math dots sesions, if i want to do LR and flash other picture cards inbetween, i’m actually flashing the whole day… is that bad for my baby? hope someone can help me… next thing i need to learn is to learn how to know whensomeone replies me on this forum… heehee

[quote author=velvetberry link=topic=16147.msg99334#msg99334 date=1370786875]
Hi,

am new here. my girl (curretly 2 year old) has started LR when she was 3 mths, and nw is reading very well at the age of 2… much to the atnoshiment of many…

Wow that’s really great. I started my child with LR at 5 months old. So far she has sight read (by reading out loud) only 3 words which are baby, man and thigh. I have not personalized the lessons though and we just did the LR lessons usually once a day and I also showed her physical flash cards. She has become pretty verbal. Her vocabulary is just amazing and she is starting to talk in three-word phrases. However, she has not shown any inclination yet to show me if she can read so I wonder, how often did you play the LR lessons in a day; did you personalize the lessons; and did you have other reading activities with your child. Thanks.

Hi parents!

I am new. as your comment is it better to teach flash card? i only have about 1.5 hour play with my sons in the evening. i can not make flash card by my self. it’s easy for my to teach by LR, LM. no or less teach with flash card has good result or not. Need your comment.

Thank you?