losing interest in flash cards

Ok my LO is 7 months old, we have been doing the doman method with flash cards since he was 3 months old. He loved it and would go nuts everytime the words came out. Just this week he has completely lost interest…turning his head away from the words…I don’t want to force him so I put the words away. Has this happened with anyone else and when did you reintroduce the flashcards again? He is not teething, he seems very happy otherwise…just no interest in it.

Children naturally go through phases. When they become more mobile, they’ll be more interested in crawling and walking than the cards. That’s fine. Put them away, or only do them at meals or in the bath. Later, his interest will come again–I promise.

It happens, and it will happen several times throughout his childhood. It’s natural!!

Yes, texaslady is right, and Doman talks a lot about that. Once a baby learns how to crawl that will generally be his driving passion, and he will be so busy he won’t have much time for cards. You can try just showing them to him while he’s temporarily confined (like texaslady said, during mealtime or bath time, or when he’s in his car seat, etc.) or you can also try showing him just one or two cards at a time. You may try putting his cards away for a couple days or even a week or more and then bring them back out again. Putting them temporarily away, and then bringing them out for very, very brief sessions later on, may revive his interest.

In the thread “maths equations” I posted Doman’s recommendations for teaching a 7-12 month old. It might be very helpful to you. The link is here: http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/maths-equations/msg6357/#msg6357

And above all, as before mentioned, keep in mind that this is just a phase of his development. Remember that he will NOT be 7 months old forever, and children change SO much in such a short amount of time. Just think about how different he is now from three months ago, or even one month ago. The same will be true in one and six months from now, he will be a totally different child!

At this point in his life physical mobility takes the all-important role. Just think that in just 12 months children go from a sedentary, immobile baby at six months old to a walking, running, and jumping little boy at 18 months old! That is a LOT of work! So just go with it, support him in his new development, and find out what works for this new child of yours whether it’s putting the cards away for a while, only showing one or two at a time, or finding new ways to get him interested.

Texaslady and DomanMom are absolutely right. :slight_smile:

We experienced that too, esp with the dot cards. Interest seems to come in fits and starts.

I agree that texaslady and domanmom are spot on. My son is six months old. He began to tummy crawl at 5 1/2 months. He now gets up on all fours and seems very determined to creep. This seems to be his main passion at the moment and he loves to touch and explore things. Therefore, I have needed to slow down with our previous program for a little while. I too find it best to show Ethan cards while he is in his highchair. I have also made some word cards with matching things that are tactile such as bubble wrap, sand paper, felt etc… He is seeing new words, but also gets to feel things which he really seems to enjoy during this stage of his development.

That’s a great idea for little ones! Thanks for sharing!

Hi , parkman

Tthere are some important rules while showing dot cards/ reading &encyclopedia bits.

*Older the child the faster you move.
*Show the words very quickly , otherwise the child gets bored. The speed at which you show is very important.
*Keep the session very brief.
*Always stop before your child wants to stop to maintain the curiosity for the next session.
*Children would like to see difficult words .
*Older children want words, which they listento or use and which involves tongue movement.
*For young children you can choose any words.
*You have to speak very clearly and your pronunciations should be very clear.