Looking for the best source of the Doman flashcards

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have a sweet little 4 month old daughter. I would love to teach her Maths through the Doman flash cards. Is there an economic way to get them somewhere on sale etc. I am certainly not ready to prepare them from scratch :slight_smile: .

Thanks all ! and BTW , I love this forum and everyone here being so knowledgable and commited to their babies !

ā€” MomOfDaughter (MOD) :smiley:

Honestly, I think the Doman math flashcards are one of the best bargains out there.

You pay $50 for the set from IAHP (I believe) and that set will last you YEARS.

On the contrary, each of their $20 Bits of Intelligence cards will last 2 weeks and then your child will know them.

The math cards are so versatileā€“they teach quantity recognition, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, patterns, sequences, fractionsā€“whatever you want them to!!

So if you canā€™t find them and donā€™t want to make them yourself, Iā€™d pay the $50 in a heartbeat!

You can print them off in the free flashcard section of this website: http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=161;pg=3;sortby=date;orderby=desc
You could print those and mount them on posterboard with or without laminating them.
Otherwise you can buy them for $50 or so from gentle revolution online the benefit of those is they are durable and have the equations on the back already.

Powerflash cards is a good alternative to use untill you figure out what cards to use. Go to http://www.frankchenphoto.com/powerflashcard/downloads.htm for a free download. The trial version is just like the real thing, and you can use it 30 times for free.

If you prefer paper the download I used is at http://worldsbesteducation.org/math.aspx I printed them on cardstock, put them in plastic protectors and then in a 3 ring binder. I put in my 10 dot cards at time and then put a picture or two in between each one to help hold my sonā€™s interest.
Jennifer

As I see so far, if you have a printer at home, you get a good choice of type of cards
other wise $50 plan is a best bet.

Dear MOD,

The cheapest way to do Math Doman is to buy the Doman cards from the www.IAHP.org, they will save you hourS of work, they will be accuarate and more important than anything it has the equations in the back already; these are not just any equations, these equations were designed by a mathematician (very renoun but his name scape me at the moment) who designed these equations around the future needs of a child for algebra and calculus (these we can not replicate as moms- at least not me!) I think it is better to let an expert do it for you.

In regards the Bits of Intelligence what has not been mentioned in this thread is that every bit (Flash card) has a program of Intelligence in the back; In other words your baby may be able to remember all the names of the picures in a week but you will go over the material in the back of each card for months to come. Anyone can google a picture of Albrecht Durer and labeled it as The Hare but it is hard to get 10 additional pieces of relevant information about that one piece of art. The same with animals, plants, leaders, presidents, vehicles etcā€¦ almost everyone in time will know the name of things that interest you, but ā€¦

Butā€¦one of the reasons why Doman kids are different is that they have detail and extensive information about what they know not just the name or label for a image/picture/object. That makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps !! Plus

Congratulations on starting the program at 4 months !! Your daughter is bless beyond measure by having a mom like you ! Have you consider taking the the Doman course? There is no comparison between reading the books and taking the class, I know because I read the books, found them boring and repetitive the course ignites people. You wont be able to appreciate or judge Doman until you attend the courses.

Wish you the best !! good luck !!

Gloria

I have not bought LM, but I have been thinking about it. I thought LM would replace the Doman math flashcards, doesnā€™t it? :blink:

Thanks!

I dont think LM replace DOMAN but LM is fantastic for toddlers or older kids who get bored with the dots. Babies generally speaking dont mind the dots - momā€™s job is to make it exciting and present them quickly, Babies wont mind the dots plus computer exposure is not advisable for babies under age 2.

That being said the equations are an important feature of the Doman Math, in LM we can custom make our own equations but as I mentioned before the equations from the Doman method have been design by a mathematician with a specific purpose. I am adding all those equations to LM and that way for me it is the perfect picture great design with math science - cant beat that.

I wish I could share them with everyone to save everyone the typing time but as I heard from LM support team this is not possible.

Gloria

ps: I LOVE LM !!!

ps2: I LOVE DOMAN !!!

Hi,

Right at this moment I donā€™t have enough to buy both the Doman maths & LM what would you suggest that I go for?

Malathi

Malathi,

These two post may help you decide.

http://forum.brillkids.com/little-math/lm-vs-doman-math-kit/
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/glenn-doman-vs-lm/

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Gloria,

Computer exposure isnā€™t good for kids under two years old? Iā€™m not surprised at all and I can imagine how itā€™s better to not look at the computer or the t.v. when kids are young. But what specifically did you hear about it? I guess I just want to know because my baby is on the computer a few minutes a couple times a day doing LR.

THanks,
Lucy

if it helps the discount ā€œAP09ā€ will give you 20% off any kit including math for the month of April at gentel revolution press

I wrote my opinion on the effects or TV here:

http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/kids-and-the-computer/

Note, people often mix up TV with computers in general. There is a very big difference, the most important being the content that is typically shown on TV vs a computer.
Secondly, whatā€™s most ā€˜harmfulā€™ are the old style CRT monitors and TVs, which are very different to modern LCD monitors.

I just printed of the dot cards that are available in the download section onto card stock.

We did the same, but we realized that if we wanted to follow Domanā€™s method these cards were going to be good only for 10 days! :nowink: We thought about printing the other 80 from a file that was posted in the downloads and laminating them. We decided to use the 20% discount that gentlerevolution has for the month of April and buy their kit. :blush: Two reasons for this:

1. We are using the computer for LR and we donā€™t want to over do it.
  2. We were lazyā€¦ :blush: Just the thought of printing, cutting and laminating 80 more cards got us. The 20% discount helped us to make the decision. My daughter enjoys physical cards a little bit more right now, so we need to start preparing some more,moreā€¦ :rolleyes:

We just got the dot cards and they are very big. They are not very easy to handle. I need to do a lot of practice to get the right speed :blink: It is nice that they come with equations in the back.

We are planning to get LM in a couple of months in case she gets bored with the dots, but so far so good :biggrin: