looking for good Montessori book

I’m not interested in another book about montessori philosophy, I’ve red about that a lot already. All I need to get started is a book with lots of activities suited to very young children. Most activities described in all the books I got are for kids 2,5 yrs or older. Can anyone help?

I strongly recommend Maja Pitamics,Teach me to do it myself. It is really good, it tells about a basic activity and also gives you options if you want to ungrade the task. You can adjust some activites for small infants too, especially the sensory parts of it. The goals of these tasks when used with infants will be different than with toddlers but the activites can be adapted. Plus it has many worksheets at the back for use.

For younger children, try reading , How to raise an amazing child the montessori way. It has some chapters devoted to the philosophy but if you read it , you will certainly get some ideas for young children.
I know of one more book I had read, but it had so many things which i would have to purchase from Montessori websites. I adapted it and found many toys which matched the actual toys. I will post ot once i find its name.

saniso, thank you so much, Teach me to do it myself sounds like just the right book

If you’ll remember the title of the other book please share :slight_smile:

I’ve red already How to raise an amazing child the montessori way, I agree with you, this is a really good book

Hi Saniso & Joanna07,
Which book should I buy first for teaching 10month old? Or shall I get all three that you mentioned?
Saniso, will wait for your update for the other book. And do I buy them from Amazon?

Thanks!

Heres the name of the book which has some ideas for montessori for infants, adapt it with your own toys: Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three by Paula Polk Lillard and Lynn Lillard Jessen

Luckymommy1307, Is it possible fo you to borrow these books from the library, just to skim.Especially the book I mentioned not, has some things which are good but I would not have purchased this book.
How to raise an amazing child the montessori way has good instructions if you are just starting, regarding environment, grace courtesy etc .
good luck
Hope that helps

Hi Saniso,
Thanks for your advise, I will check out library first :slight_smile:

I checked my library and they have all the books mentioned in this post, I will go there today. After I finish reading those books I’ll let you know what I think about them

Any other ideas for toddlers activities…I really like the Montessori method I want to create montessori areas for my daughter in the house. I am looking for a good book who can tell me about activities for toddlers and materials.thanks

guys any suggestion??
thanks

Someone recommended this site a few days ago http://www.dailymontessori.com. They have a lot of good activities and a book section if you want to purchase one.

We got some good ideas from Barbara Curtis, “Mommy, Teach Me!”

(Gah, don’t get me started on the “mommy” business. They should rename “Parents” magazine “Mommies.”)

Thanks for the link. I have been looking into Montessori for a while now, using all of the resources here. I have noticed that in the toys stores here and our local department stores that wooden toys are back in fashion and even better then ever. I have found tons of wooden activity sets, puzzles, games, foods, and more that are great, however, they are expensive for us so I am trying to see if a friend who owns a wood shop would make the items for me. We will see. I am searching for the woodworking patterns now to purchase. Does anyone have any resources on making the wooden toys or items?

I just finished reading this great book about Montessori program. I have read at least 4 books about Montessori program but this one is the best I could find.
It doesn’t go so deep on Montessori’s philosophy which I know all that because almost everybook talks about it.
But this books focus on giving you activities to do with babies,toddlers and bigger kids.
It is great: I got some many ideas I haven’t thought before;
-Like science;
DO MAGNETIC OR NONMAGNETIC ACTIVITY
DO LIVING OR NON LIVING WITH OBJECTS LIKE: non living toy,mirror,magnet …etc and Living like insects,people, tree…etc.
DO SINK OR FLOAT
POURING AIR you can use straws in bath time…or any other time
-Like reading
Presenting letter in these groups:
first set c m a t
second set s r i p
Third set b f o g
Four set h j u l
fifth set d w e n
sixth set k q v x y z
He also talk about how to make sandpaper alphabet and how you should teach them to read(introduce each letter). Also tells you how to introduce math in children.Gives you this cool ideas.
Also they believe that teaching to read we first have to focus on phonics not on the name of the letter it doesn’t make sense to teach ABCDEF… It makes more sense to teach the sound of each letter first.

Then he talk about Montessori birthday’s activities which are really interesting and holidays. Also activites to teach your kid indpendence.

This is book is: HOW TO RAISE AN AMAZONG CHILD The Montessori way autor: Tim Seldin(President of the Montessori Foundation) I got it at the library.
Hope this helps.

I was looking for a good book or internet resource on HOW to set up my home or area of my home in a Montessori manner. Any suggestions?

This book talks about it also

Besides in every Montessori book you will find the same information about that topic.

Hi All,

I really recommend ‘Teaching Montessori in the Home’ by Elizabeth G Hainstock. my wife and I have used it with both children and we feel it’s been very beneficial:

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Montessori-Home-Pre-School-Years/dp/0452279097/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265365511&sr=1-1

good luck :smiley:

Good day, I know there are a lot of free sites out there with great info. However if you are looking for a low cost montessori program this site is AWESOME. I save so much time and money with this. I have used some forms of montessori in our home for over 13 years… Here is the website… http://www.montessorifortheearth.com It has ages up to 9 i think… Good luck and let me know if you need anything else…

susan

All, Pamela Hickein, who makes the TweedleWink and Wink DVD’s and is a Montessori teacher herself, recommended the followig books:

1. Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock and Lee Davis
  2. Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent’s Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six by Lesley Britton

I believe these are practical and most useful to get you started. Best of luck!

I’ve checked this link but you have to pay if you want some ideas from this site…which I am not doing that!..I prefer free ideas.

sorry it is not free :frowning: I just thought I would mention as i have purchased so many items over the years (oldest 13) and this is one of the BEST values for the money out there. I too use a lot of free materials. Sorry i was of no help :frowning: