Lobby Groups

Hi everyone

I was doing a search today on google for early learning, specifically looking for early education centres and activities to do with my dd and I came acroos a submission to the australian government in regards to implementing a glenn doman method in our primary schools ( along with her own method for teaching children). So i assumed it is biased but none the less I was surprised to see that a submission was made to the Australian Government

here is the link www.dest.gov.au/sectors/school_education/policy_initiatives_reviews/key_issues/literacy_numeracy/…/Sub_366_WEB_rtf.htm

I was just wondering if anyone else here had lobbied their local member of parliament to have these wonderful methods introduced to your local schools and if you had gotten anywhere with it?

I feel that what the schools doing currently isn’t working, but I don’t know if Doman is the answer. Doman himself says that mothers are the best teachers (and fathers) – when we try to institutionalize Doman, I’m not sure we’ll get the same results. It’s about the personal time and attention, it’s about intimately knowing your child, it’s about knowing when to start and when to quit (and quitting while it’s still fun).

Sitting down 15-25 kids at once and showing them all a set of flashcards isn’t the best choice, in my opinion.

But it’s an interesting thought, nonetheless.

Interesting…

Texaslady makes a good point. In any case, I feel that there’s a lot more we can do at the early stages, and if anything, I think the primary school stage is already very late.

The link isn’t working, btw, Kimba.

Thanks KL

I will get on to that.

I agree with texaslady though, the current school system just is not working and I know for someone like my brother who has major learning difficulties that certainly the Australian public schooling system has let him down considerably. A teacher can not share their time to a child who obviously needs the extra attention when they have 29 other children in their class.

Maybe we need to lobby our government for paid parental leave so we can be at home with our children for longer. I was lucky in the sence that I work for the Aus Gov and was entitled to 12 weeks paid maternity leave which i took at half pay which was extended to 26 weeks of pay plus another 10 weeks of annual leave at half pay, plus the $5000 baby bonus will allow me close to 9months of paid leave.

I know in Sweden that they get 400 days paid parental leave at 75% of their current pay. Both parents must take leave and one stage but isn’t that wonderful that you can stay at home without the stress and worry of where the money is going to come from and completely concentrate on you baby.

Maybe this is what we need?

You should consider yourself lucky for getting all that help. Here in America we get 6 weeks paid for some jobs only, and it doesn’t even pay full salary most of the time. I got 6 weeks paid leave that equaled out to less than half of my regular salary for a job that I worked at for 3+ years.

in maldives we get three months paid leave and we also get two hours from working time until baby is one. am also working in govrnment