LOADS of questions

I have been here for one and half months and never got the time to introduce myself or even got around to ask the simple questions necessary. To be honest I have been busy collecting Loyalty points to get my LR and LM as I may not get internet next month plus my son is almost 28months old and I have little time to work on maths. But now i have like 400 more points to get my LM, and got my LR already (tough luck there cos 2 days after I bought LR, LM came out!!!) and I can make up with 5 more slide shows I think!

Well anyways, when I got pregnant being the avid reader and information collector I am, i read and found that I gotta feed his brain most before he reaches his 3rd birthday. so from around 7month he first got his own book and I really started “collecting” books for him from his 1st birthday on. back then i dint know i can use flashcards and reading for him, i just never got around to do it cos am not good with that but his dad did that for him!

Kyle was a late talker and he only started talking as in talking when he was 20 months old. but like I said bfore he surprised me as he had a full vocabulary attained within a week exactly! and it was in this week he called me and said “mummy circle!” and then came and asked me to draw an oval!

hes eager for knowledge I can see and also get things very easily into brain. he’s smart I tell you cos once he had four people giving him a finger to be held and he held his own finger and dragged himself out of the door!! that was when he was around 2yrs!

Ok now I have been on him with flash cards, LR, and LM…but LM is going slow os I got problems with my LM and no dot cards printed but he’s doing 25-36 now…so he’ll start addition soon.

When I do LR and flashcards manually ( i got 3 sets of 5 cards) he always ask for more like when I show him 1set he again ask, so I show the next set, and if he still wants the 3rds set!

when doing LR, I show him the playlist I have for him and he’ll say again so I’l show another and then he’ll control the mouse and check on other sets. He loves flowers-2 and baby actions so much its been played more than 20 times!

how should I actually be doin it? Like when I show him set 1 for the time and he ask for more, do I show another set or same set?

and if he start saying the word when the cards is shown is it time I change it even if its not been shown 15times yet?

and what should I do when he’s just guessing the word by the first letter?

and as he is around English and Dhivehi (local language) can I do both together? actually three languages cos I wanna make him more adjusted to Arabic!!!

And what if he initially say No I wont look at flashcards, but when shown and is keen? Should I not show when he says no even in this case?

And after I show his set for the time, and if hes askng for more the 3 sets for the day at one time and leave him to explore LR on his own is that a bad idea?

I am asking cos I have stlil not got hold of a copy of a Doman book and our country being a developing one, we don’t get it in library and as I dont use VISA cards and such cant buy from abroad!!!

Is that all the questions you have? :smiley:

First of all, remember there are no strict rules for this, so don’t stress yourself out! You may find the best answer to be different from child to child, from day to day, and depending on many other factors too! For me at least, I never followed any such rules. Some days we would do a lot, some days hardly, other days not at all.

Glenn Doman’s advice is to always try to stop before they want to stop, to leave them wanting more, so you could take his advice. In the situation you mentioned, I would probably show it one more time, but before that I would say, “OK, one more time, last time, ok? We can see it again tomorrow.” Inevitably, the ones your child likes the most can be (and I think should be) played more, and that’s absolutely fine.

and if he start saying the word when the cards is shown is it time I change it even if its not been shown 15times yet?

There’s nothing magical about “15”. If he already knows the word, then he may still be enjoying the process of being able to recognize the word, in which case you can still play it while he’s still excited with his ability. But I would not fuss too much anymore if the word doesn’t get played as much as before. Also, I would phase it out once I detect he is starting to get bored by seeing the word again.

and what should I do when he's just guessing the word by the first letter?

Nothing in particular! Just keep showing the word according to your lesson plan. After a while he’ll change from guessing to knowing.

and as he is around English and Dhivehi (local language) can I do both together? actually three languages cos I wanna make him more adjusted to Arabic!!!

Depending on how much time you have and how much he focuses on the lessons. For us, we focused on one language, and introduced the second language slightly later.

And what if he initially say No I wont look at flashcards, but when shown and is keen? Should I not show when he says no even in this case?

If you believe even though he says ‘no’ he would still be keen, then by all means show it! That’s called knowing what your son really wants. :slight_smile:

And after I show his set for the time, and if hes askng for more the 3 sets for the day at one time and leave him to explore LR on his own is that a bad idea?

I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all. Again, there are no strict rules! Just make sure he’s enjoying himself and you cannot go far wrong!

hi kyles mom very interesting :smiley:

how u bought LR???. is it for free??.is that mean you are using LR home basic???.. i dont know cos i am not getting much time to explore. i am very bussy working .
thanks in advance

I gotta give you a karma KL…
you honestly think that would be it? no way…was so tired last night and again tonight …so no energy to remember the questions but believe me loads are still more to come

as for the 15times issue, I have retired 6 cards from 3 sets…the most familiar ones…as for LR, I just check up on the stats and retire the most often seen cards

Glenn Doman's advice is to always try to stop before they want to stop, to leave them wanting more, so you could take his advice.

yeah I’ve been doing that, he would ask me to show the set I just showed and I’ll say no lets check this one first with LR and after I’m done with his lessons for the time, I let him play with LR and let him watch whatever he wants and manually I just finish off the 3 sets and then start again if hes asking and say enough for now and leave!:wink:

Yeah he loves the fact tht he recognise the words probably he can see the look and smile and joy in his moms voice!!! not so surprising ain’t it!!!

and KL, my son is one mischievous kid, there are times I wonder if he’s really 27months or if he is 6yrs old! so there are times he say NO cos he doesnt want but there are more times he just say so I’l give my full attention and ask again more lovingly if you know what I mean…

Anyways thank you so much, and again I thank you for uploading the manual flashcards ones of Felicity which had made Kyle take in for flashcards FINALLY! I had tried unsuccessfully more than 3 different sets at random over a 6months time but when he saw another baby do it, he wanted to do it too…so i still occasionally show those videos for him and when I ask him if its ok to view cards I usually go, Lets do what those babies on the comp do!

I earned loyalty points by making powerpoint slide shows and pdfs and now LR files I do try posting up too… i earned 10000 points with 400 points donated by rixu and bought LR with the 100% coupon.

I am a single mom…bringing up Kyle at home without any other influence as such cos no body to tell me what to do or what not to do!

I am trying to earn enough points to buy LR and LM. It’s going to take me forever. Hopefully in time I will earn enough points.

Anyone have an suggestions what I should do in the mean time?

I am currently using flashcards using Doman Method and showing some powerpoint slides I download from here.

Please see these threads for ideas on how to earn points http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/10-000-points-you-can-do-it!!!/

http://forum.brillkids.com/forum-how-tos-and-faqs/the-loyalty-points-system/

Ok not anothjer set, but I cant delay this question

got still more…

but is it necessary to show same category or random or it is ok which ever way?

meaning like if I am showing apple, I show the whole fruits list or can I have apple, red, walk, desk, cat?

Kyles Mom - In the Doman method, it doesn’t matter. I don’t know what has worked best for others. Personally, I never worried about keeping with categories. If my son didn’t know the meaning of the word, I would show him the item/picture for the first few times. Otherwise, I just showed the words. Now that I have LR, I’ve been showing more categories because that’s how others are creating there LR files. However, if you download any of my couplet files, you’ll see they’re not categorized. As so many others have reassured me on this board - there is no ‘right’ way to do it!!!

You can earn points from power point slide shows or pdf files - but since we can’t download Little Reader Lite anymore for free (wish I did it when I first saw the site!) we can’t make LR shows (which earn more points per download).