LO playing with keyboard when doing LR program

Hi all,

I’m a little stuck here and need help. I started BK reading program with my little one a couple of months ago (he was 13 months old at that time and now he is 15 mo). He was never interested in sight words or phonics. I tried to print them out and flash and it worked for a couple of weeks, but after that he just did not pay attention to the cards. There was a short period when he wanted to keep watching BK. Right now he is interested only in multisensory. He can watch 1 section and then starts playing with my laptop (sometimes he starts playing with it in the middle of the multisensory section). He does it pretty aggressively, not only pressing keys, but also trying to push the laptop of the table, etc. He then doesn’t want to let the laptop go. So, I feel like I need to show just a little part of the lesson at a time as his attention span is short, but every time we do BK session it ends negatively because he does not want to leave the laptop. Does anybody have suggestions for us on how to proceed?

I just want to add that when he does pay attention to the BK lesson (multisensory part), he enjoys it, and he learned a bunch of things from it, like parts of the body, animals, fruits. He loves when I show him things that we have in the house right after we see it on the screen. It just seems that he gets distracted by the laptop itself. We do not have a desktop at home. Should I try an iPad? I don’t currently have one but I can buy one if BK would work on it.

Thanks you very much!

Sorry, I should have said Little Reader instead of BK reading program.

Hi, I have the same challenge with my boy. What I do which is what domans teach and that is stop before he wants to stop. So roughly work out how long into it it is when he starts getting bored etc and stop do something fun then come back. You want to always end positively rather than negatively. Hope that’s helped. Keep going cos even tho you don’t think that there getting it…youll be surprised! all the best. Jay