LM: Does using other icons has the same effect as of red dots?

Hi everyone…
I am from India, mom to a 2.2 yr old boy. I have been trying to follow doman maths with red dots. But after sometime he refuses to look at them. During LM beta testing I used disney cars icon, which held his interest. I just want to know whether using this icons has the same effect as red dots or should we use red dots atleast once a day?

Thanks in advance.

Using any icons should have the same effect as the kids see quantity and that’s most important :slight_smile:

Agreed! Your child is old enough to see the icons no matter what they are.

now angie, i gotta give u a karma for this, co si have been meaning to ask this question for sumtime but never remembered it wen i can type it out!!!
was so wondering why there are red dots and not another color and why RED DOTS!!! wat about mixing icons in one set? like 4 red dots, 5 cars and 3 balloons in in the 11 card?
same effect?

Hello Angie,

Shichida took the math DOT Doman method and modified some aspects to produce his math method. One of the main changes he did is the change of colors and shapes. They believe the effect is the same but they variety get the kids engage in the lessons easily.

main changes:

1. order and randow vs random only (Doman believe order first then random, Shichida just random)
  2. Math Images (Doman dots - Shichida variety of images to keep them interested)
  3. Red color (Doman Red - Shichida any color as long as there is strong contrast- color white background)
  4. Right Brain mass memory/intuitive calculation
  5. Acceleration of rate of inputrate of 0.5 second per card

for more info pls see The Schichida Method (book) you can get it at:
http://www.shichida.co.jp/english2.htm

or in the USA at:
https://dbb.cathand.com/qcj_shichidaus/?p=p_1

hope this helps.

Gloria
:happy:

I too have been wondering this! I’ve been showing the red dots since I thought the consistency was important. Now, I’ll switch it up once he shows any sign of boredom.

Thanks all!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Your reply has really helped to me to ward off all the worries about whether i am doing it right.

Thanks for asking this question, I wanted to know the same thing. But, after using LM I am seeing results. So, I think if the child is old enough to see icons, they will learn.

thanks for asking this question. my son is now 2yrs old & i was having the same problem with the dot cards. but now i m sure that modifying the shape & color will certainly help… :slight_smile:

And so do I. Thank you for all your answers. My toddler is almost 29 months. He loves LM. :smiley:

I feel it should not matter to the baby what shape it is.

Introducing another shape/color should be even more benefial, I suppose.

I’ve thought alot about this question. Then after my last post, I saw the video on these forums of an adorable 16 month old girl reading with Little Reader. I read the ‘back-story’ on how the Mom finally got this wonderful footage. One thing she noted was that her typical black words on the white background was being washed out on the video, so she changed to a different background. She then noticed her daughter was not able to read as well without high-contrast word-to-background. Ultimately she was able to switch to white words on back background and her daughter was able to read perfectly (again, so cute!)

I’ve kept this in mind as I show my son Little Math. I’ve stayed with red colored, shape icons for little math, changing them every playback. This seems to be enough change to keep his interest for now.

What i came to know is if a child is older enough then u can use any icons but color should be red coz they can associate with that color as they saw only that color in the womb.

Wonderful information!

I had wondered if it was as effective if the icons changed.

I am glad you can use other colours as well.

I think my dd will like that.

yes.using other icons has the same effect as red dots. Just that its advisable to use red dots for babies as what others have mentioned. Older babies and toddlers are able to see the icon as an item no matter if its a red dot or picture dot.Other icons with different pictures and patterns are to keep the babies stay interested. I guess they will get bored seeing the same dots every day (even with changing quantities)

is using picture for animals for egsample ok instead of dot with 2 years old child ?
like this power point
plz tell me

hi ketty rain

how do you intend to use this picture as per your powerpoint? If you are intending it to use as flash cards,i dont think its appropriate because it has too many images in the background. (house,stars,tree etc) A single image (be it dot, car, animal) is better so that your child get to focus better.

You may want to use the slides in an interactive way by asking them to count how many sheeps there are

I have wondered the same thing. It seams as though my son is more distracted by other images because he gets really excited to see the pictures that I don’t know if he is really focusing on the amount.

I think those sheeps are excellent to teach your toddler to count after some months of showing dots or simple images with no backgorund.

I wrote about a similar topic here:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/is-she-learning/msg32667/#msg32667

I said:

Regarding the main question as to whether they are really learning, no one will know with 100% certainty. Personally, I feel that so long as they are looking at the screen, then the information is going in. In fact, some would argue that that is a more effective way of getting the information to go in, when you’re looking at something but actually focused on something else - this is actually the right brain method!

See, right brain learning is where you by-pass the logical, critical, analytical left-brain so that the right brain can absorb massive amounts of info without the left-brain getting in the way. This is the reason why the flash method requires rapid flashing, so that you’re not using your left brain to analyze (or count!) the dots, but using the right brain to take in the whole image and perceive the quantity. Similarly, there are other methods that try to disengage the left brain, like flashing patterns (which you focus on) while you listen to a piece of information (which contains the info you’re trying to absorb).

So it could well be that your child focusing on the icons (but visually taking in the entire image) might make this more right brain learning than otherwise!