Little one loses focus with Sight Words and Pattern Phonics. Help!

Hi All,

My little boy is very interested in the pictures and multisensory section of the lessons but loses focus on the pattern phonics and sight words, he doesn’t even look at the screen when those sections come up!

Please HELP! any suggestions?

I skip them both. The whole session is ridiculously long imo. Your baby won’t learn it if he isn’t interested in it anyway. The most important thing is to make sure the are having fun. Good luck!

How old is he?

With my kids the younger they were the more they liked pattern phonics and sight words, my 14 months old still loves pattern phonics, sight words and word split more then anything else :yes: . But the older they get, they become more left-brain oriented and so multisensory sessions interest them more

My suggestion is to divide the sessions, and show less per each session. Make it fun, upbeat, game-like, and dont think about results, just have fun!

Mybabyian,

Have you tried customizing sessions? LR is pretty amazing, because you can customize pretty much anything, making it perfect fit for your child. You can change how many words to show, how fast, which mode, etc etc :yes:

Hi ,

Thanks for your feedback. My son is 17 months old. We have been keeping the lessons set but i will definitely be customising the lessons from now

Thanks for all the advice.

For ideas to make it more fun, you can clap or jump on each word! or repeat the words in a funny voice. Set the text and background colors to random, include more font types and set the font to random.

Something to keep in mind is that older versions of LR didn’t have sight words or pattern phonics and kids still learned to read from the program.

You can use the “Meet the sight words” videos instead, or once your little one is recognizing words, you can custom create short phrases with the sight words, as in “the cat” or “cat and dog”, you can easily re-use the BK media images for these slides or find new images on the net.

Then, I just want to add, I know how it’s like when your little one is not into some learning activity and sometimes there’s just nothing you can do about it but except it and focus on the things that he does like.

For me, the easiest and most rewarding route is to follow my son’s lead. You shouldn’t care if he’s learning, it’s like letting him play outside, you just do it because you know it’s good for him. :biggrin:

Where are you from? Groenewald is a very common surname where I am from (South Africa)

I had the same issues. So when we had LR lessons, the first lessons that I played for my son was the one he liked the least.
I always made sure that he watched Pattern Phonics first. :smiley:

If he didn’t want to watch them, I printed them out and manually flashed those words to him.

Thanks again for the ideas, i am now customising those sections and he seems to be taking to it. I am also learning to just go with what my LO likes.

MamaofWill I am actually from South Africa, Pretoria East. Where do you stay ?

We’re in Jo’burg (in Alberton but we’ll be moving West in a couple of months, to Weltevrenden Park.)

@skylark yes, I customized quite a bit for my son, but I am using LR on the ipad for my daughter. I don’t think you can customize for ipad. Its not hard to play just the sections I want though and I think the curriculumn is great, just lengthy. I’ve actually just let the pattern phonics play though since this post as it us quick, but still skipping the sight words. My son used meet the sight words and easily learned the other sight words without LR so I just don’t feel it is necessary. my biggest desire is to keep it fun and interesting so I am try to do what I can to achieve that goal. :slight_smile:

HI everyone,

these are very helpful to have in mind, all of your advice !

My LO has a BIG smile when he sees the LR starting…and want to bash the iPad so badly…
Thank you