little math - no response from my son, what to do?

dear experts please guide me,

My query is little lengthy but i request you to read it and help my son to understand little math lessons.

I have been showing little math to my 3.5 yrs old son for past 7-8 months.

I have completed 100 days, but I found that he did not respond much even for five figures without counting. and thats why i showed him 1-100 counting figures twice and now that i have finished showing him addition and subtraction lessons, i have started showing him second time the addition and subtraction lessons b’caz here also he is not answering even for 1+1,1+2,1+3…

he has lost patience to watch both the sections together, so I am showing him only section 1 after lunch and section 2 after evening snacks.

I don’t know how LM is helping him to learn math as i read that a child must watch both the sections atleast twice a day.

Another thing, I am still showing him both random and serial order, is this is okay or i must move only to serial order as my child is now 3.5 years.

My child loves to count the figures but he cannot tell the number of figures above 3 without counting

I need some experienced guidance on this to help my child little math properly.

yours truely,
Mili

At your son’s age, I wouldn’t be using LM as a primary math program. It is more for babies. You can still use it, but I would forget about following the planned curriculum. Here is what we are doing with LM that seems to be working for us. My son is 2 and a half.

Everyday we have a single math lesson - it only takes about 5 minutes. First, I show him the LM preset for addition +1. Then we count out the same equations with mini m&ms like this. (You can use raisins or any other manipulative.)

Me: How many m&ms are on the table?
Him: Zero
Me: That’s right! 0+1= (pause to see if he answers as I show him one m&m and put it on the table)
Him: One!
Me: Yes!

We do this up to ten. If he doesn’t answer I just answer for him. If he doesn’t answer a couple of times in a row I stop pausing and waiting for him to answer as I figure he needs to hear me do it a few more times to learn it. He has gotten pretty good at it. After we add up to ten I show him LM -1 subtraction. Then we subtract the m&ms in the same way, but we both eat them. When he has all the equations down I’ll start showing them in random order. When he can answer them all in random order we will do +2 and -2 equations, etc.

I use m&ms because it makes it fun for him. They are mini and he is sharing them with me so really he is getting a very minimal amount of sugar from it (about 2.5 grams) and he thinks it is the best game ever.

Today at the park he told me, “There are only two slides here. If we want to have three we have to go to the store and buy another one.” lol Later he was having fun giving me basketballs and making addition problems out of it. So I am very happy that he is not only learning but having a great time with it as well.

The thing you don’t want him to do is to get frustrated. This is why I suggest leaving the curriculum and just focusing on a single set of equations until he can answer them easily. At first I would recommend you not test in any way. Just demonstrate. After you think he might be getting it, try pausing to see if he’ll answer and if he doesn’t I always take that as a clue that he is not ready to. I hope this helps. Good luck!

:frowning: no reply…

waiting for experts reply

rgds,
mili

Your son is on the older side for using LM. My son started it at age 4 and we stopped around day 75 as he had had enough. I don’t regret the time we spent on it at all. My son is very confident in number quantities and math in general. He picks up math concepts quickly. Nd I can attribute that to the LM time.
In the share file section you will find some files made for right start math users. They show subtilising quantities for numbers 1-5 and 6-10. They show each quantity in a variety of different ways. I recommend you focus your morning time showing these files until he can subtilise these numbers at least numbers up to 5.
There is no rule that says your child needs to see 2 lessons a day and the whole lesson each time. I have never showed any of the kids I work with two lessons a day and they are all learning plenty! Just do one lesson if that is all you’re son wants. Then supplement the lesson with hands on math activities instead of the second lesson. If you want him to subtilise ( instantly recognise a group of objects as ??) then focus on that as your physical activity. If you see three birds say " oh look there are three birds on the fence" show him 5 apples at the store. Show him the correct number first and count them after you name the amount.
Marshmallow math book has lots of easy ideas to extend your math into everyday life.
Continue with LM if he doesn’t mind but do mix it up abit. One day do the lesson next day show him numbers, or do morning subtilising and numerals and afternoon lessons. Keep it fast, fun and stress free. Don’t make him answer any questions unless he volunteers to. You are focussing on IMPUT not his output. Enjoy yourselves and have some silly fun!