Link to Book Search List Based on Child's AR and/or Lexi Reading Levels!

If you’re not yet familiar with the ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development), it’s basically the zone that incorporates where your child is with regards to learning, plus a little more and a little less. The point is that if you keep your kid in this range, learning is enjoyable. Why? Well, too easy is boring and too hard makes you want to quit. However, a little easy is good because every now and then you need to recharge without having your skills fall off the planet, and a little hard is good because it helps get you to the next level. This can be applied to just about any type of learning. That said, interest in the subject plays a huge difference in how much of a challenge someone is willing to take on … I have little doubt that at this point in his life Joey wouldn’t be self-enrolled in a college-level course if it had everything to do with his beloved Lightening McQueen and Mater. :wink:

With that in mind, we try to get reading books from the library to help us out, but if you’re as familiar with these books as we are, sometimes the “Reading Level” on the back of them just don’t quite line up … thanks to the interpretations of the various publishers. A solution? Using the reading levels based on a company that’s already gone through quite a few books (and whose credibility has been tested by the schools where your child and/or their peers may - eventually? - be enrolled). Enter AR (Accelerated Reader) and Lexile. Feel free to do a search on them, or just click on the links below and enjoy the lists that populate. :slight_smile: If you find any better, please feel free to share!

http://sedgefield.nn.k12.va.us/export/sites/Sedgefield/documents/ARlist.pdf - reading list sorted by ar reading level (took a while to find, since the majority of the ones that kept coming up were alphabetical)[/b]

http://www.quizlist.net/(S(0s0vef553y4nei45u2xped55))/Search.aspx - Link to a searchable list: my preference, searching based on Lexile, sorted by lexile, leaving only LG clicked at the bottom to include books that are more appropriate for the 1 & 3 year old right now.

I fount that link at quizlistinteractive, which also has other interesting links, like http://www.quizlistinteractive.com/AcceleratedReader_BookLists.aspx … but you’ll quickly note that it’s not as inclusive as one may hope. The reason for this is because they make their money from selling quizzes, I believe, and so they limit their list to what they offer.

Again the reason I like the search engine is because it does a good job of providing a fair list of AR/Lexile comparisons. The reason I like ar/lexile comparisons is because I’m finding that kiddo’s reading abilities are often higher than reading level and here’s the catch to that: I want to encourage newer and more complicated words without boring him with chapter books already. The challenge has been in finding shorter, less wordy, illustrated stories that advance his reading level. Getting a lexile list is helpful for that, and having an AR list helps reassure me that they’re advancing at a level recognized by many institutions. (Lexile is relatively new and therefore not so recognized/incorporated. For example, our local library has a page online chatting it up … and then fails to have a lexile searchable search engine.)

It’s after 4am here and I’m wondering how much sense this post is making, so I’ll try to shorten now.

Here’s a list of other interesting links:
http://www.lexile.com/fab/ - link to the lexile site’s search engine
http://www.renlearn.com/store/quiz_series.asp?root=recommended&s1=a&s2=z&c=MA+02%3A70%3A3+2102%2F9%2F21 - link to suggested reading lists from AR (accelerated reader)
http://www.renlearn.com/store/quiz_advanced.asp?c=MA+30%3A64%3A3+2102%2F9%2F21 - link to the complete AR library

Well I understood it…but I have some pretty thorough back ground knowledge :smiley:
Basically what she was trying to say was
If your kiddie can read and you can’t find a book that is just hard enough but not too hard then follow the link. :biggrin:
I particularly like your point on finding advanced word level picture books over having a 3 year old read chapter books. Picture books are written for children between ages 2-8 usually. That means ALL kids ages 2-8 will find a picture book they are interested in. Picture books are beautiful and are usually very well written also. I often look for challenging picture books for my 6 year old who can read quite fluently. The picture books introduce words she wouldn’t come across in her chapter books. Words like " rambling, graceful, ambling, waddled, meandering,… They pop up in picture books all the time but almost never in a kids novel. we also use picture books for read aloud fluency. My girls read to their brother. They use voices for characters and practice building suspence just like mummy reads. lol Picture books are perfect for this! Thanks for posting i shall definately check it out.

Thanks for the links! I’ve been using bookwizard (it’s a Scholastic site), but of course, if it’s not a book made by them you may not get any results in your search. I’ll definitely try out these sites. Thanks!

Thanks for this information.

We will find this list very helpful.

Even when my granddaughter was a very little baby I was busy searching for picture books with interesting rhyme and charming witty stories.

I love Margaret Mahey’s picture books.

So we ignored the reading age recommendation and held the baby’s interest with the poetry of the language and our own delight in the story line.

We find "Down the back of the chair " fun to read.

I live in a rural area with virtually no bookstores.
I had to use another option.
Make books.
We realised that by making our own scrap books with family photos and drawings and magazine cut outs we could appeal to her with any interesting looking/sounding words we fancied.

She showed us that she enjoyed it.
She was moving her mouth as she heard my words and her little feet were kicking.