Lilly: The World Map Master

This is awesome…

How did you teach you baby?
How did you started ?

Please share your expereince.

Thanks

Congrats. Thanks for sharing. She is so adorable. :slight_smile:
Do you teach her using LR or map puzzles?

Hi all!

This is not my video but my 24mo (also Lily, strangely enough) does this as well. She asks all the time to “…do countries, please, Momma!”

I know people are curious on how to teach the map - asking for specific techniques. Honestly, all I did was show her maybe five or six countries at a time on the map and, after showing them to her, asked her where they were.

For example:
“Look Lily, this is Russia” (do this for five or six countries)
After showing five or six…
“Lily, can you show me where Russia is?”
And then lots of praise from Mommy when she gets it!!

I did this ever session gradually building on the number of countries (still only adding 5 or 6 each time).

Now, we’re not as consistent with this as I would like, so her knowledge isn’t as vast as the little girl in the video, but it certainly could be if this method was applied every day or even every second day!

Good luck!

Must be something about the name Lily lol

She is not a map master like the girl in this video, but still has fun with it. So far, my Lily knows about 90% + of her US States and Capitals.

There’s a reason she doesn’t know her World geography yet aside from the continents…because Mommy hasn’t bought her a World map yet! Shame on me, I need to go pick one up this weekend…

TMT - We just used a little placemat with the world map on it to begin! Bought it on a whim at Zellers one day along with one of the Canadian provinces.

My father almost fell over when he came to visit and Lily (20mo, at the time) brought out the map and pointed to Alberta saying, “Alberta! Grandad! Grandad works there!”

We use a US map & placemat. :slight_smile: We recently got a leapfrog tag and I was able to get a map for it (US) for $9.99, too good of a deal to pass up.

But yes, now it’s time to move one because she’s mastered most of it.

This little girl is adorable. She seems to be having a very good time. That is the key to learning, make it a game a HAVE FUN.
Congrats.

It is a little tricky for me to check Ella’s knowledge when it comes to geography as most of the maps come labeled and, since she can already read quite fast, I find it hard to determine whether she really knows her countries and states or whether she is just reading the labels. That’s why I really like the Melissa and Doug placemats for both world and USA maps: http://www.amazon.com/Countries-of-the-World-Write-a-Mat/dp/B0036FQ1WC/ref=pd_sim_t_5; http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-United-States-Write-A-Mat/dp/B001UL00IK/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_b The reverse side is an unlabeled outline map which is how I was able to know that she indeed does know most of her countries and states. She also loves jigsaw puzzles so, once I learned that she had outgrown the placemats, we got her these awesome geopuzzles for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=geopuzzles&x=0&y=0.