levelled readers, how many in each level need 2 be completed 2 b competant?

I have been looking at the Usbourne Reading programme and it looks really good, but each level has many books and I would like to know how many in each level would need to be completed to be competant at that level.

Miss S and I are working on readers from the library but the levels are all over the place and the books are from many different publishers.

I would like to know if anyone is doing a levelled reading programme and if so how are you progressing with it? and are you happy with it?

Kimba

I’m sure it depends on the kid.

Do it and let us know how it goes. lol

I’ve only done BOB books, but I am using them more for building reading stamina than decoding skills. We are almost done with them (doing all of them, 1 new one a day). When we are done, we will either do the Usborne level 1, or possibly the I See Sam books.

I am not sure it can work like that - levelled readers should always be supplemented and also children should be reading some books at an easier level and some at a level they need some help with so they can advance - probably my advice would be to get a few (at least 3 of each level) and then continue to use the library readers even if they are all over the place. Competency comes with wide practice and also often re-reading certain books to gain fluency.

Not familiar with this but I want to know. Pls let me know you have found one. thanks

I agree! We are all over the place too. We use I See Sam books(we are on set 3 and we read one or two a day) Mercer Meyer books, The Reading Lesson, Bob Books, and any other books we can get our hands on. If they are at my DS level or lower he reads them to me, if they are slightly above his level we take turns reading pages and I help him figure it out.

I am using the Ladybird Key words reading scheme - we have reached level 5 and will probably stop after that level and use something else to gain stamina. I have used multiple other reading schemes too though our library is terrible - it gets only one level out of each scheme which is next to useless. I do have a number of the Usborne series too though have not used them so much for reading practice as just for good stories. The other scheme I have used slightly more widely is The Oxford Reading Tree levels 1-4 mostly.

We used many differeny books. Such as Bob books. But the ones from the library I thought were good were the green light readers. You will need adifferent amount at each level to become competent. Probably a lot of level 1, a little less level 2 and then for level 3 and above probably less and more supplementation with outside books.One thing we did is once my elder son could read a book on his own then I would leave them out for him to read before bed or in his free time.