Let your child choose their own books

Nothing keeps a child’s attention focused on their reading lesson like reading material that is fun, interesting and of their own choosing.

I learned this valuable lesson when I decided to buy my son his first reading book. My son is a typical boy who likes robots, aliens, lions and Martial Arts. So on this particular day I took him to our favorite bookshop to buy him his first reading book. Leaving him with his father, I went off to choose a selection of age appropriate books for him.

Amongst these was a book on pirates, robots and on a whim I chose a few Winnie The Pooh books. To our complete surprise he chose the Winnie The Pooh books which he absolutely loved and read repeatedly without any prompting from me, even going so far as to collect various items related to the books to keep in his room.

I have since learned to respect his intuition and instincts and to follow his selections and he has thoroughly enjoyed every book that he has selected for himself.

Your only consideration is to make sure that you choose age appropriate books for your child and also that it is material that you are comfortable with. 👨‍👶🏽👩‍

You are right, it better to let them choose their book. It will help them to explore themselves, also help you to understand what’s your kid really interesting in.

Thanks Britneymills

I agree with you vvanessa, I always believe that kids should be free to choose what they want to read. This will help in developing an interest in them to read from an early age itself.

Yes millinw, when kids are quizzed on books they have read later or asked to write about them, they can easily recall the order of events that took place, and write more effectively. By allowing children to choose what they read and can become absorbed in, it can also improve more social skills such as empathy. If they are able to read books about characters they can care about, they can apply it to real life situations (for example, a book about the plight of a child during a war).

I totally agree with you. Just give the child the freedom to select the book that interests him. Otherwise if you try to choose the books for him, he may not like them. I work for buy essays cheap and I have learned a lot about kids. Kids have a craving for something they like. they like taste and the best option to keep them engaged is to allow them to select their own materials if you want reading o be interesting. DOnt impose books to them.

Yes alextyper, some kids will be able to pick out gems, many need guidance. There are ways to prompt kids to pick out suitable books without taking over. Ask them which subjects they like, which previous books they enjoyed, who their heroes are, or which hobbies they enjoy. You also can toss in a few books you like and offer to read them aloud.

I totally agree with your point that we should allow the kid to choose the book according to their interest and never to force them to choose the book or subject according to the parent interest.

Thanks LeesaJohnson

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone is interested in free children picture eBook?, I am a newbie author and would really love a review from you all in return i’ll send you a free copy. Its going to be free at amazon on this Friday 30th june, Can you help me? Please contact me, and i’ll send u link to my free copy. Thank you so much.

я читаю своей дочери разные книги. Что-то ей нравится, тогда мы изучаем тему подробнее. Что-то ей не нравится сразу, тогда мы возвращаемся к этой теме через 6-7 месяцев. Как-то так…

I agree that child should read their favorite books and surveys also agree. kids don’t like to read books, they love to play games and have fun while learning. According to the Guardian : The results of a number of surveys Norris has carried out with hundreds of American booksellers over the past year have provided the basis for a series of tips for parents designed to help children find enjoyment in books. First, he argues, reading should never be described with “work words” which make it seem like a chore. Too many families, Norris suggests, have fallen into the trap of stereotyping reading as a “good” activity and digital or online game playing as “bad”. Instead, it is important to let reading become associated with pleasure and achievement, just as game playing is.