Learning more then 1 new language at a time...

This is quoted from the Muzzy website in the article section and I found it very interesting and somewhat comforting. My son is bilingal in english/ASL, but now I would like to introduce french to him, and he has decided he wants to learn Spanish(thank-you Dora!)
“Spanish Today. French Tomorrow?
Fortunately, parents who are trying to decide what second language might be best for their child aren’t limited to just one. Children are perfectly capable of learning more than one language, and even of learning multiple languages simultaneously. There is absolutely nothing hardwired into the brain that prevents children from learning more than one secondary language, or from learning more than one language at a time. It is also important to note that a child’s capacity to learn more than one language simultaneously isn’t something children have to grow into—they can begin their exploration of language(s) very early, and often with amazing results. In fact, the earlier they start, the longer and richer their exposure will be to the language or languages, and the deeper the effect will be.”
The rest of the article is here: http://www.early-advantage.com/Articles/Choosingthebestlanguage.aspx
I’m trying to decide which way I want to go, doing french mondays, spanish tuesdays, etc or just doing both languages. I’d also like to expose him to Chinese and German. LOL but two new languages seems like a good start for now. I’m sure he could handle it, I just don’t want to overdo myself and then quit.

well… i can only tell you my experience.
it is important for my baby to learn italian, greek and german. she is getting english in the home already and spanish from the nanny. so with the languages we switch days. we have an italian mommy and me on saturdays, so we do monday, wednesday and saturday italian, with me speaking to her in small sentences that i got from the internet. “do you want to eat?” where is your doll" etc. we do the same thing with greek (with the class) on tues. thurs. and sunday. friday we are usually out and will probably save that for german when i give that to her when she’s about 2 (she’s just over 1 now). the important thing i do is when i’m not “talking” to her i’m playing children’s songs. there are TONS on itunes and YOU TUBE! fabulous b/c the videos on you tube of the songs we listen to in itunes have the words on the bottom like karaoke! which doesn’t help her as much as it helps me learn them so we can sing them all the time. i was surprised to see all the children’s songs on you tube with the lyrics added. fabulous!!
so far, no confusion. with me, if i’m speaking italian or greek to her, she responds in that language. with the nanny she responds in spanish. so she can hear the difference for sure!
i don’t know where you live but some consulates sponsor language classes from kids to adults. that’s how i found the italian class. worth a try.
good luck!
the doc :clown:

That’s a great idea! I wonder why I haven’t thought of looking for spanish and french children’s songs on youtube before! I have downloaded tons of Chinese songs and videos but not the other languages. We are teaching our daughter Mandarin, Spanish, French, and Filipino in addition to English. So far, English and Mandarin seem to be her strongest languages and she can communicate easily in either, sometimes even surprising us with her vocabulary. She is also reading very well in both English and Mandarin. She gets a smattering of Spanish, French, and Filipino mostly from LR, books, videos, and a Spanish teacher in daycare. We haven’t really started teaching her to read in the other languages yet as I want her to have a solid grasp of phonics before I do that. Unfortunately, both my hubby and I work fulltime so we can’t take advantage of foreign language mommy and me classes here in our city. You’re so lucky you’re able to do that, DrPrimo! Do you also teach her to read in the other languages? It’s great you’re able to do so much with your baby!

I am going over to youtube now and check out what french and spanish videos are available! Thanks again! :smiley:

wouldn’t it be great if LR had a button you could push for various languages (or CD roms to add to the current curriculum) that could teach the entire LR curriculum in a different language? instead of hunting for various languages… which i don’t mind doing, but to learn the exact same words they learn in english but with a native speaker and correct pronunciation in a given language?
:yes:
i’m dreaming, i guess… but one can hope!

how are you teaching your daughter in LR spanish french and filipino? is it just a download as you see them or is there a way you are going about it?
would LOVE to know,

I almost forgot about the reading…
what i’ve done (because it is very difficult finding childrens book in italian and greek here in the US) is take the flashcards from YBCR and other picture books with 1 word in them (her baby books) and pasted the italian word over them. so they get a picture AND the italian word… she already knows the cards in english, so i get to recycle them! we go back to english every now and then (b/c i put them on a post-it note to make it easier to take off and put on). so far its working well. AND… it really helps my vocab, too!
hope that helps!

Is there anyone out there that has tryied this with more than one language that is not their parents? I know many cases that they do that because the languenge where they leave is 1 and their father and mother are differente ones.
Is this possible even if no one in ther surroundings speake the 2nd and third language?
My grandson has been listening ather languages on songs (CD Wee Sing around the world) and children stories (with CD) son he listens to native speaking only in that way but non personally except our native language Spanish and me reading and flashing cards to him in english.
I want to introduce french (not only on CD songs) but am afraid to get him confuse. He even does not pronounced well many words in spanish.
I appreciate your comments.

I’ve mentioned it before in other language posts, but if you are interested there are language sites where you could find native speakers of your target language that may be interested in maybe reading a story to the baby or even helping you learn some common phrases so that you can communicate with your little one. All of the languages I am teaching started off, except a few, with just audio cd’s and dvd’s. I learned with my son so that I could communicate in each language with him and he could hear it from me in addition to the cd’s and dvd’s.

One I really like is mylanguageexchange.com
Hope this helps and Take Care:)
Thanks for the article Waterdreamer :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot patience. I think that place is excellent for practicing. As you do, I am learning french in order to do a better job as a teacher.

Thank-you for sharing that site! Its looks great!!!

I would like to add one more way for your little ones to expose to foreign languages. Check your local libraries. :slight_smile: I am surprised to find out there are Chinese/Korean/Spanish/Russian story times available! They might run in different locations. Anyway, it’s an extra resource to foreign languages in a fun way AND with an ACTUAL person speaking the foreign language. Indeed, besides the libraries, sometimes, at your local children museums, they have story times too. I am lucky enough to find the children museum in our area offers weekly world language storytimes in addition to the regular story times. Hope you all find my suggestions useful.

That sounds great! I’m going to check out the branch of our citys library that is located in the french area of town, I bet they would offer french story time!
Thanks for the idea!!