Learning 2 instruments at the same time

Hi,

I am thinking of letting my daughter pick up piano too, but she is already doing violin. I am just wondering, about parents out there with kids learning 2 instruments at the same, how do you cope? How much practice daily? Thanks.

Hey,
I actually have my son playing both of those intstruments as well, and it is just easier for him to alternate instruments each day since we are still in the very early learning stages (reading music, but not quite fluently but playing songs by memory). He took a break over summer, so he is just now getting back into both instruments, and he does an hour a day. Hope that helps!

hi renaissancemum,

which two instruments is he playing?
and when did he started? he play both an hour a day or one instrument an hour a day? thanks for sharing.

I have my son playing violin and piano as well. He practices violin everyday for a minimum 30 mins (he is ASD so focusing is an issue for him) sometimes he will go for 2 hours and sometimes he will just do the mandatory hal hour. Piano is more relaxed, no formal lesson but we just find time during quiet time to sit and practice. I take his lead on piano so when he is most interested in playing i capitalise on it so to speak. Its taken a long time to get to this stage but he can read music and play at the same time and he seems to love violin.

Another thing i do with him is encourage him to practice writing musical notes (on large print music sheets) and even though he is only 6 he has ‘composed’ 4 songs already.

Amazing… thanks for sharing.