lead poison hazards

Hey there,
I recently purchased a house. It was built in 1920 and much is still origional. To begin with I very enchanted with origional hardware, clawfoot tub, woodwork. Now, I find out there are many lead hazards. The clawfoot tub is most likely coated in lead paint and poses a leaching hazard, as do brass faucets. The bathtub I read poses a very serious threat from leaching into bath water and possibly sipped by a little one, as does all the chipping lead paint in the house.
I may seem very naive when I say I did not know this house was a danger for my young one when we bought it, but it’s true. I didn’t know about the possible contaminants in the tub and facets, and the paint looked fine to me when we first saw it. They had just put a new coat over chipping areas. It’s chipping all over now.
Also, I think I was so excited about actually being able to buy house through FHA, that I may have had my head in the clouds. I think FHA is supposed to do an inspection for hazards, but I don’t know how good it is. I have ordered a lead test kit, but with paint flakes the width of a nickel(from so many layers), you can bet it’s got all the old lead paint still under the new. :frowning:
Has anyone had to rennovate an old house like this? Can anyone give me some advice on dealing with lead paint? I am really worried for my daughter. We are low income and money is tight, too.
Any suggestions?

I would get someone to get rid of it immediately! And stay out of the house while they are doing it to avoid breathing everything in!

You can buy a do it yourself lead test kit at the hardware store for about $10. If you had an inspection you may want to go over it again to see if the inspector listed possible lead hazards.