Languages that have masculine and feminine (and neutral) versions of words?

Hi all,

I am not sure how to teach German. German nouns are either masculine (der), femine (die) or neutral (das). It’s a lit like in French where the nouns are masculine (le) or femine (la).

Shall I teach the words der/die/das with the nouns (e.g. der Kindergarten)or only the nouns itself (e.g. Kindergarten)?

Thanks for any input.

I would teach them with the articles. Take advantage of that photographic memory while you can. I remember my beginning French books all had the article, and I could picture the words with the illustration better than I could remember masculine/feminine.

I’m teaching my daughter Spanish and I had the same question. After asking around the conclusion was to include the articles. Which I haven’t done yet :blush: I need to change my presentations. It is good to know this about German since we want to introduce our daughter to German later on.

I don’t know what Doman says about it, but I think that teaching the articles is probably the best way to do it. You won’t get very far in German, Spanish, French, etc. without knowing the articles.

thanks a lot. I’ll teach with article then.

Does anyone has experience of teaching declension of verbs (I am, you are,…)? In German there is also a declension of adjectives.

German is so difficult to teach…hic hic.

That’s right…do it the right way!good luck.