labeling question

I am sure many of you are using it and I am wonderring how do you present it to your child?
Do you flash them before you stick them around the house?
How long do you leave them around? How often do you change them? Are you retiring them same as we do we flashcards?
Or is my house going to end up with labels everywhere? lol

We started labeling when my son was about 14 months or so. I put up about 5 or 6 kitchen labels one evening - just in my own handwriting. The next morning he and his daddy greeted the house going around the kitchen saying “Good morning, coffee maker.” “Good morning, faucet.” etc. I added a few more as the days went by, then forgot about it for a while, remembered, made some more, forgot about it, remembered, made some more… My house was like a store with everything labeled. Seriously.

Finally, I went around with my camera and took photos of everything that I had labeled (with the label still on the item - and readable in the photo). Then I printed them out on cardstock, flipped them over and wrote the word on the back. Now I had flashcards. We played with these first by pulling a card, reading it, then finding the actual item in the house. After a few rounds of this I removed the labels from my home - this is where I add the pointer NOT to tape a flashcard to a toaster - while it won’t start on fire, the tape will become very, very nasty and hard to remove!!! :blush: Then we just played with the cards in random ways. My labeling days were over for a while…but seriously thinking of bringing them back - maybe with a bit of control this time! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply. It looks like nobody else is labeling their house :confused: or don’t want to share their thoughts?
Is it written in Doman book? I can not find it :frowning:

Hey Lelask-
I went through a huge labeling phase when my daughter was about 8 months old-15 months old. People laughed when they came over because Everything had labels. Too many jokes to count, like “at least we can always find the toilet at your house”. (there was a big water-proofed label on the lid!). This worked really well and daughter seemed to enjoy it very much…later I went back and added other languages to the same card.
After about 15 months the kiddo wouldn’t leave them attached…but I had all labels at her cruising level so she could interact with them…I know some people don’t do this, but instead put them at a height where LO can be shown them a few times per day…
I actually think I started putting them at a low height because I am in a wheelchair or down on the floor with her all day, so it was natural for me, but when I saw how much she loved it we continued. I actually often used the YBCR flashcards and just stuck them up, moving them often…we played preposition games too in this fashion. I would roll her ball BEHIND the table and say, “oh, look, your ball went behind the table! Can you find it?” that sort of game, but it helped with the vocabulary, following instructions, prepositions, and complex questions later. First mommy rolled the ball under the table, now it is above the table, now it is beside the table…should we put it back where we started? Where does it go? And so on…we used the labeling as a stepping stone for tons of games, if that makes sense…

I also have labels at cruising height. But, I found my son likes to interact with them too. He points to them which reminds me to tell him the word. Otherwise, even though I see them I don’t think about showing him for some reason. They just sort of blend in after awhile and you forget they are there. He especially loves the label I have on the stairs. He grunts and points from all the way at the top of the stairs. So far we have not done flash cards but some of the words have been on LR like couch, desk, etc.

Hi,
I also put labels at his height. He seems to have some kind of speech processing disorder so I can’t tell you if he knows how to spell various words, but I think it’s going in, quietly, a bit like the story books which he never appears to listen to…
Good luck

Thanks. I also put them where she can reach them. And becouse my dd prefers physical flashcards I am thinking of flashing those words for couple of days before putting them around the house. I will see what she says :laugh: .
That is a good idea to put label in another language as well. I will do that when the right time comes.

It seems a good idea. But, it will be better if we will choose the best place for her learning experiences. I prefer to do it on my baby’s room.