knowledge lane

So I have been spending time putting together some learning games and puzzles on a large scale for my empty hallway walls, and here is what I have come up with:

The first project is “Build an Element.” I didn’t just want memorization of the flash cards but a basic understanding of atoms and the information found on the Periodic Table. I took this idea from a video on youtube of a dad teaching a toddler the elements based on electrons. The focus of my game is putting the correct number of electrons based on the Element card presented. The child has to place the correct amount of electrons and in the correct ring (inner electrons last to go). I am going to redo it on a smaller scale to get more rings of electrons, but until then, I am happy with them learning about the first ten elements.

The second project is learning where the major organs go inside the body and the different parts of the brain. I also did the solar system (not pictured) and I put up a few money posters. I am also working on a fractions area. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cokers4life-
Congrats on finishing it! It looks great and you obviously put a tremendous amount of thought, time, and hard work into the project!
Can’t wait to hear about future ideas as your knowledge lane grows and evolves! Hhhmmmm, although with the amount of time the kids are going to want to be in there it may turn into a four-lane highway!
Great work :yes:

Love the idea cokers4life. With fractions you could just do what your already doing but cut large circles into halfs, thids quarters, fifths and then get your LO to put them back together. YOu could write 1/2 on each 1/2 and when your LO puts it back to gether you say a 1/2 + a 1/2 = 1 whole. I hope this makes sense.

I actually quite like the fractions sheet that comes with rightstart. It is a large rectangle cut into parts. The rectangle shows a whole rod across the top, then the next rod under the whole rod is decided into 2 labelled half, then there are 3 labeled thirds, 4 labeled quarters. It’s can be cut up into a puzzle. What I like about it is it CLEARLY shows the relashionships between different fractions. Kids can easily see that a 1/3 is bigger than a 1/4. Unlike if you do circles, where it’s a bit less obvious. if I was making it I would do it bigger than A4 and each fraction size in a different colour. You can go as small as the kids can handle and add smaller fractions as they perfect the puzzle.
Your activities look great :slight_smile:

I love this idea! I am jealous that you have a hallway to make a knowledge lane.

One recommendation I have. Could you add a history timeline along the top or bottom of the wall?. I think there is something wonderful about walking through history. :slight_smile:

Cokers4life-
Thought you might like this site for further ideas and LOADS of free downloads…we have quite a bit of material from here and it might save you a bit of work!
Ooh-take a look at her Periodic Table of the Elements JumpRope chant (they are done in order!) as well

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/homeschool-freedownloads/index.php