Know of any strong Language Arts Curriculums

I am homeschooling my daughter. So far she is getting better at reading. I want a strong English curriculum for her. Would anybody know and have experience with any. I understand some parents make their own curriculum, that would not work for me especially with English. If anyone has suggestions. She is 4 years old right now.

Thanks,

HTis is my pick
http://www.susanwisebauer.com/books/writing-with-ease-strong-fundamentals/
Also check out Draw Write Now as a great place to start with a 4 year old.
We’re you looking for a complete English curriculum or grammar, writing, spelling ect separately as needed?

English (or Langauge Arts) is quite broad and it is hard to find an all encompassing programme for it. There are some curricula that offer a full language arts programme but at age 4 and reading you will be hard pressed to find one that suits your child as many teach basic phonics and reading initially. Most homeschoolers I know do use separate programmes for each aspect - so they will cover phonics and reading with one programme, spelling with another, grammar with yet another and then have a writing programme too. And then there is handwriting to think about too. This explains also why many people do their own.

As far as I know Sonlight and My Father’s World have full langauge arts programmes.

Primary Arts of Language is pretty good. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/pal-wc

“First Language Lessons” by Jessie Wise is very excellent and very easy to use. I have level 1 and 2. They each have a 100 lessons a piece. I am using this with my 5 year old. He just turned 5 and has been using it for the last six months. My 3 year old follows a long and listens. She doesn’t really do the writing activities. There are not many writing activities in level 1 which is why I like.

I have not placed too much emphasis on writing with my young children. I plan on starting “Writing with Ease” by Susan Wise Bauer either when we finish “First Language Lessons” level 1 or 2. It depends on how strong his handwriting becomes in the coming months. Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise are a mother/daughter team that have authored a lot of educational material that are according to classical forms of teaching. I have found their books easy to use with little material and prep needed. It doesn’t take long to do a lesson which is great for young children. Their books are very inexpensive too. With all our activities, we don’t have time for a lot of cut and paste. We have enough of that as it is with art time. If you just want a simple to the point scripted lesson, you will be very happy with “First Language Lessons.”

I don’t have a spelling program yet. I have been just using Webster’s Spelling book to practice spelling and writing together. Honestly its just for writing, but I am trying to familarize him to spelling rules in a less formal way for now. We just have too much going on to get it all into the day. I have read many testimonies where spelling wasn’t taught and the children were just great spellers due to their large amounts of time spent reading and writing.

Yes I like first language lessons too! That’s a great choice for use before writing with ease.
I agree put spelling off for a while is a sound plan. The only reason to add it now is if your child is struggling to recognise the top 100 sight words. Then add then 2-3 a week as spelling words to focus study.

Thanks everyone! I will look into these. I feel a little better as I have not done as much spelling either.

I keep hearing Sonlight too, I am really thinking about buying it. Eventhough, I cringe at the thought of how expensive it is. I want a set of books that I should read to my 4 year old so she develops good comprehension and writing skills. I am a strong believer, if I read good books to her, she will develop good writhing and better comprehension, with some work and time off course. I have a difficult time choosing books on my own. I want advanced books but our library has books that I feel she has outgrew now. I really want to just pull her up a level. English was always my weakest. I could write essays but I was never in Honors english ;). I really don’t want that for them.

Has anyone ever looked into easypeacyhomeschooling.com free curriculum. Any thoughts on that? Also, any homeschooling boards out there that you guys read?

Sonlight is expensive. If that something that interests you, I would go to a used homeschool book sale (there are a lot going on in my area this time of year). They usually sell their whole package as a unit at 50% the retail price. Or you can check ebay… I picked up First Language lessons, the activity book for Story of the World, Saxon math books, and lots of amazing books for super cheap. They were all in great condition. Its a great way to save money.

I have no idea whether it is strong enough… :slight_smile: My daughter has been using beestar for ELA. The ELA text selection is excellent. DD rather does 9 hours of the worksheets than watch 1 minute of t.v.
Lisa

Writing lessons come from the books your children read throughout the year.