kindermusik or music together

hi,

i am planning to let my daughter learn violin at a later stage. which will be a good choice as her preparation now? kindermusik or music together? why do you think so?
or doesn’t really matter?

your opinions are appreciated. thanks.

Hi Reei,

We’re off in about 15 minutes to our weekly “Music For Young Children” class. This is a third option (in Canada, anyway). We really like it. I, too, want to register my child for either the Suzuki violin class when he’s three or the Yamaha music program. I’m torn at the moment.

Anyway, the MYC program has been great so far (we’ve only had one class). My son is a little young for what she usually accepts (he’s just under two) so she asked that I/he sit in on the group that finished before Christmas so that she could evaluate his readiness. What I saw then (after 2.5 months) was that the group was reading music (not actual notes, but teddybear symbols). They knew several technical music words and playing to the appropriate speed/volume that the “notes” were telling them to.

After months of playing our own instruments at home (holding things incorrectly) this week my son began holding his sticks like claves should be, a tambourine the way it should be and he even began strumming his guitar (ukelele) (not the right notes) and sang his scales to his “music”.

They have a workbook with all music (and a cd) that you keep. The music pieces show all the notes/words and all the instruments that are being used and for what (melody or background). When we listen, we sing to the song the first time and then we listen to the particular instruments as they are introduced in the song.

Anyway, if you don’t have a MYC program where you live, this may give you a few ideas for questions to ask.