Kids and soda

Hi,
I would like to know what you think about young kids drinking soda. I have a 5 year old and lately he started to ask for soda when we go out to eat. I hardly drink any soda but my husband drinks regularly. I am against it but once in a while I give in and let him have a few sips. Thank you for your opinion in advance.

In our family we do not drink soda at all. Kids know what it is, and its ingredients, but they also know, that similarly to smoking or eating processed foods it is unhealthy and can cause us harm. And since we do not go out of our way to do something harmful to our body or keep items that are harmful in our house (soda, household chemicals, processed foods), kids know that if we do not have it in our house, it is not good for us.

I know it is much easier, when it is so clear cut. But your situation is definitely more challenging, and it can be more difficult. I guess, the challenge would be to explain to a child “if it is harmful, why such and such eats/drinks it”. We usually go over the list of ingredients, discuss why they are there, what they do, what is healthy/natural alternative. Usually, in our case it was enough, and kids actually having fun checking all the ingredients and making sure others around them know that there are better alternatives :slight_smile:

For example we do have a sparkling drink ( or “Kids Champagne” they call it :slight_smile: ) for special occasions, birthdays and so on. But all it is – 1/3 fresh fruit juice of choice ( we like apple, blueberry or cherry) and 2/3 natural sparkling mineral water. A slice of lemon and mint leaf for decoration :wink: Or natural sparkly fruit drink made with fresh kefir grains and fruit juice ( here you even get an added benefit of pro-biotics) Both options are delicious, refreshing and healthy, with no sugar added!

So having a healthy alternative, I think, would really help. As well as using natural curiosity of kids ( especially EL kids) and providing them with facts to investigate! Just some ideas, hope they will help somewhat.

Okay, but you asked…

Items that are on our banned list:

1. TV
  2. Sugary (sweet) drinks
  3. Candy

I find basically no value in any of those three and all of them work against our values and goals.

Soda is perhaps the worst item sold in super market behind cigarettes. In the last year, I’ve also added fruit juice to the banned list: the only exception has been when there are flu symptoms and sugar drinks are used to re-hydrate and ingest fast calories.

You’d be better off ordering a scoop of ice cream with your dinner, just to put it in perspective.

That obesity epidemic that the USA suffers from and seems to export to the rest of the world?.. a huge percentage of that is soft drinks that have gained in popularity around the world.

For a fast yet in-depth look at sugar and why it is to be avoided, go to youtube and watch Lustig’s lecture entitled “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” youtube has a newly added feature where you can speed up the viewing to either 1.5x or 2.0x which will cut your viewing time down, if you desire.

I will say that Lustig’s weakness is that he demonizes fructose and really only fructose, but that should be enough to understand why soft drinks, fruit juices, and candy are not really for anyone to consume on a regular (if ever) basis, let alone our cherished kids.

As for EL and sugar, the two are at odds with each other.

EDIT: I will add that at the end of Lustig’s book Fat Chance, he recommends that the US government (FDA) alter the food label to focus on sugar and how much has been added to the food in question. Added sugar is now ubiquitous up and down the food isles. I read this book around last Christmas and in my review poked a bit of fun at his label recommendations because I thought there was no way they’d do it. Two months later and the FDA announced that for the first time in two decades, they were altering their label requirements. The new labels will be exactly as Lustig proposed.

PokerDad 100% agree.

No sugar-coating here (pun intended:)
It’s easy to say that soda is not good for people. But I think once you find out WHY it is bad and how much more it is damaging to developing system of children, maybe even your husband will give up his habit.

http://www.rodalenews.com/facts-about-soda

And diet versions aren’t any better.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

Good luck breaking the habit! Fingers crossed!

My hubby drinks coke. I don’t drink any soda and nor do my kids generally speaking. We have a couple of let offs but bear in mind my kids are older. I had no let off until they were at least 5.
The first time they tried soda was when I was gardening and my sugar levels got really low and I needed a very quick fix or a trip to the hospital. I opened a can of lemon soda and we shared it. We have a can of lemon in the fridge whenever I am planning heavy physical labour, just in case.
The other time they get it is very very occasionally at a birthday party or such. If their is no choice but soft drink or water they can have one soft drink (usually they share it) and water after that. This happens maybe once a year. Possibly less. Most of my friends know I will want water or juice for my kids so they stock it for us or let me know to grab some on the way. :biggrin:
Usually my kids will ask for water wherever we are. If you set the bar high in the beginning it will stay pretty high even if you relax a little later. My kids prefer water to soda. :yes: They like juice but it isn’t in our house often so it is considered a treat. If we go out for dinner and soft drink is the kid menu option I always order juice instead for them. Most times I water it down too. I never give them unwatered juice at home.
We have never had a problem with daddy drinking coke. From day one coke has not been for children. They have never had it. It is just not an option. Daddy’s makes many unhealthy choices and my kids can see I am the healthier person between us both so I can say so lol

No my son does not drink soda, nor does he have any interest in it. I drink coke. He is quite aware of that, but he also will never touch mine, nor will he ever ask.
About a year or so ago James started to create age rules. We have dozens of them. Some we make up on the fly, some are law. I have forgotten so many of them. I think it started with driving. He asked when he could drive daddy’s truck. We told him when he was 16. He remember that and told us that a lot. And the age thing trickled down to other areas to end arguments and stem requests. Sometimes it is small and we make up an arbitrary number.
Can I do the dishes… I want to do the dishes. Not until you are 4
When can I make toast? Not until you are 5.
When can I start collecting model trains? When you are 8.
Incidentally he made up the no coke until he is 18 rule. And he abides by it. And it works so we don’t have him asking mummy drinks pop and he can’t.

Somethings he knows are outright bad, like tobacco.

We don’t do dipping sauces. Especially ketchup either. I don’t want to fight with that. I have seen too many kids eat an entire packed of ketchup sucking if off a single French fry. Not that a fry is healthy…but a fry without ketchup is better than with.

My son is almost 3 and he doesn’t drink soda at all. I drink sometimes. He knows soda is not only for grown ups but once he tried and did not like.

Beer he knows is not for kids. I guess somehow we can make it very clear and he is not even curious about it.

What he wants is coffee. I’m against giving it to him, but my wife thought there was no problem. Once I explained to her, it is banned, but once in a while we can see some relative giving a little bit of coffee to him. So he is confused about it. I grew up not drinking coffee as a kid but several kids drink it here with milk.