Just some words from me, welcome to comment.

21st Century education, The Heart Method.

As we move toward the twenty first century, what kind of education that really suit our new generation? What kind of education should be considered for our children? The answer is neither left-brain nor right- brain oriented education; it should be the Education of Heart!

Used to have a phase, “You are just the mirror of your parent”. What does it mean? Nowadays, parents used to control, control their children’s behavior, interests, time, ability etc. They just wanted their children to be like them no matter their children love it or not. They molded them into someone they want but not the children. What would you think if you are the child himself?

What actually we do in Education of Heart? Let’s try to imagine that you are lifting up a handkerchief, you have various way of doing it, like from the edge, from the centre or just grab it. The children’s abilities are just like this handkerchief, some of them can be very excel in all aspects but some do not. As a parent, we should not just look down on these children but to develop their weakness into strength and enhance their abilities.

“Not academic orientated but individuality orientated” is another spec that we do in Education of Heart. As parents, we should teach the children not to judge others by their academic ability, and to teach them to value the individuality each person possesses. We should teach our children to treasure each of their friends, to love and accept each others. Grades are just important and judged by the school, but humanities are judged by human who is with heart.

Last but not the least, parents’ expectation. This is a no-no situation in Education of Heart. The parents seemed to be in the state of denial whereby they unable to accept the children for who they are. In our Education of Heart, we should not only teaching them but also learning from them.

In my conclusion, let’s start learning of being a parent. We will be able to change the world by just adding in our love to the learning and playing with your children.

i like your post. some times as parents we want nothing but the very best for our children and we worry about every thing we want to teach their brains that we forget all about the heart. we need to enrich the brain as well as the heart and we need to teach them about both. we need to help them grow and teach them with sensibility. :yes:

i really think that what you are talking about here is also called emotional IQ. I hope you post again.

Looking forward to reading more. :slight_smile:

AR

thanks a lot for your compliments, soclassica.
Working in this early childhood enrichment field really broaden my mind on how the parents are in these days. Enrichment classes are much different from preschool, I just wondering why the parents are not expected from preschool but from enrichment class.
Sometimes I feel like should I comment on the parents since I am not? Should I share with them on what you should do? :confused: I feel so sorry if I had offended some of the parents here.

EQ_boshi,
Very intriguing post, thank you for your thoughts. I enjoy learning about parenting and appreciate reading others’ ideas (parents or non-parents).

The school my kids attend (and attended)…are a christian school, so they dont like to make anyone feel special by having the brainy or gifted ones stand out. So no-one strives there, and their university entrance scores are pitiful. Unfortunately, praising ability and acheivement IS a good motivator. So not getting praised is NOT a good motivator. Most children would like to see a result for their efforts, and praise and admiration is the ultimate satisfaction and encouragement. If we dont encourage academia, we’ll end up with poorly educated and scholastically lazy kids (which is what I’m dealing with here at the moment).

Hi Khatty, thanks!

Dear Nikita,
Let’s talk about academic encouragement. I do agreed with you that children love to be praised and they even will work harder after you praised, that’s absolutely right! But, some parents, they just misused this magic (praise), they just praise the kids no matter what they done. Sooner, the kids will feel there is no sincerity in praising. They might feel like no matter what I do, my parents still praising me. Like I used to deal with the parents during the games, this kid just simply do and wanted to finish the math within the time given yet he just did it poorly but his parent still praised him “wow, great job!”. As I looked at this 5 year-old kid, he was just speechless and had no feeling and just ignored what his parent said, then I told him, “never mind, teacher saw it, let’s enjoy the next game and sure you can be better!” One thing I would like to tell is, did the parent actually know what the kid is doing? Was she really paying attention on what her kid is doing or she just day-dreaming? I don’t know. But as I quite closed with my student, I know his feeling, he doesn’t want to get the praise from his mother, but just a little attention from her.
About lazy kids, yes, this is a very big issue! What parents actually wanted in term of “hardworking” or “lazy”? Finished the homework on time is hardworking? Just focus in school work but no games considered hardworking? Just playing around without reading a book is lazy? Let’s think back, why they are not “hardworking”? Are they feeling bored on what they learned? Are they just wanted to focus in games? Or how?
I know that you are in such difficult period of getting your child settle down, do sit back, relax and think back what are the reasons. I am sure the parents here will be able to help you.
Thanks.