Just beginning

I am a full time high school teacher that has a 2 1/2 year old. I have started to work on reading, shapes, colors, animals etc. with my son. I want to start working on more tot-school related things/projects but am not sure where to start as there is so much out there. My son has a hard time sitting still and focusing as he is very busy and this will be a supplemental thing once he starts preschool in the fall. Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks!

Does your son prefer learning via the computer/TV? Although my 2.5 year old will sit through flashcards and piece together puzzles I can tell he LOVES learning with all the bright colors, sounds and animation of a computer. There are plenty of downloadable e-flashcards and knowledge bits on Brillkids and for just a few minutes a day you can teach your toddler general knowledge in an attention-grabbing way. I have a 1 y/o who would never sit still (zero attention span) and would run away as soon as he saw me pull out flashcards but ever since I purchased the LR, LMath and LMusic programs, he’ll anticipate our learning sessions with excitement! I think the method of delivery is important as kids learn via different modes. Try different things. There’s also a wealth of educational youtube videos, etc. Starfall.com is another good website…I taught my 2.5 year old to navigate a computer by himself and he loves the independence and loves playing educational videos online (math, matching, etc.). Good luck!!