JOLLY PHONICS

HI,

I was wondering if anyone has used Jolly Phonics and how they liked it.  I know the program is UK based but can be bought in the US from website.  

I was looking at purchasing 1 or 2 of the dvd’s and 7 book unit to start. I have found the vidoes on youtube and they seems fun for the kids.
Looking to use it with my 3 yr old and just reinforcment with my 5yr.
Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Ana

I’ve seen them, but never tried them out. Keep us posted them if you get them.

I have the DVDs and all 7 workbooks. My daughter is still way too young for any of the workbooks but I have them for the older children I work with. I like the DVDs and I do let my young daughter watch them but she walks away after 2 minutes or will turn it off. I mostly think that is because she has been introduced to other educational DVDs and software like leapfrog and reader rabbit so her interest wanders off.

The only thing I don’t like about the workbooks is the activities are quite repetitive until you get to workbook 5 and doesn’t offer a more learning opportunity for kids who are already quite familiar with phonics and might get bored easily as they will find the activities not very challenging and quite simple. The children I am working along side are just learning so they go crazy over it but I still think there is better out there.

So, IMHO It would be best to get these products when a child is just starting to learn to keep them interested. overall 7/10

Thanks for the review on the product. So in other words nic31600 that there isn’t any room in the curricula to adjust the content much, meaning different levels, just one set learning level?

You could probably add a little extra to make it more interesting and challenging but if you were to teach solely from the workbooks and not rely on any other resource/s, then no, I wouldn’t find it very effective as I do find it’s made for one set level, beginners.

Beginners is good to have as well. Thanks for the info.