it so difficult for me to brush my little one teeth

http://brillbaby.com/blog/?p=184
try this

does any one have problems with the little ones while trying to brush their teeths…
the little one bites on the toothbrush and won’t let go?
sometimes he bite so hard i fear his teeth will get damage :confused:

wow thats a challenge.
the musical brush worked well for me amy_w
thanks

I had a hard time with tooth brushing as well. Now we have agreed that I start and after I am done and she spits out the paste she may brush by herself and rinse after.

Dear All,

I have recently called my dentist’s office with this very same question. The dental hygienist suggested an electric toothbrush. However, our SoniCare toothbrush is too powerful for our 19 month old twins.

Several people have mentioned a musical electric toothbrush - where would I get two of these from? I live in the Northeast region of America.

Thanks.
Ayesha

I always let my children watch me brush first and and then I let them take a turn and help me brush my teeth then we reverse the roles. I let them have a turn brushing thier own teeth and then I get a turn to brush thiers. I always stopped when they started protesting. I hope this helps.

what helps in my case is that I let her first do it herslef “like a big Girl” and I ask if mom can help her.

My son is 14 month old at the moment and his teeth is almost complete… whn he was 8months he already have 8 teeth… eversince he was a moth old i was already cleaning his tongue and his gums… when his about to complete his teeth when he was 10 months old i started to brush his teeth :mellow: ith a bristle and pigeon brand tooth paste for toddlers… before i started brushing his own teeth i would always face him as i brush my teeth and sing him a song…

brush brush brush three times a day
brush brush brush, brush cavities away
brush brush brush, brush with pigeon (brand of his toothpaste)

the original song was from the ads of colgate for kids…

and everytime he saw me brushing… he would make an action that he was brushing too, thats the time i realize the he is ready for brushing…

now, we let him brush his teeth alone… and he enjoys it so much…

my son is 11 months old, has 8 teeth but i used his mittens earlier to clean and massage his gums as well but now he is biting me and it becomes a struggle. is there a certain type of toothbrush for his age and do i really need to use toothpaste now?though i know there are some toothpaste which are really safe to swallow.

\i guess gotta start it off without a struggle like the brush brush brush brush with pigeon song one
my sons imitates me in brushin and also let me brush away the REMAINING cavity!!!
a friend of mine let her son have a brush for himself while she brush him
definitely its best to not have him get on the negaive side when brushin, make it something enjoyable

I think Marina is still a bit young to understand the consequences of bad oral hygiene, although if our museum had a giant mouth with cavities in it, I’d test that theory!
She was fine with the novelty of brushing at first but then started protesting. I always do teeth in between jammies and story that way there’s the story to dangle. I also encourage her to show off her pearly whites with her best hammy grin afterwards which for a natural actor is great incentive.
I don’t think paste is a good idea until kids are a bit older, unless you are quite sure of the ingredients. Most pastes have nasty chemicals that make your teeth white and protect from cavities, but are harmful if swallowed, especially to little ones.

Do consider using toothwipes on top of brushing. That will probably help ensuring the cleanliness.

Why do people say “make sure it doesn’t have any fluoride in the toothpaste”? The paperwork I just received from the pediatrician said: we will probably need a proscription for Tri-Vi-Flour or Poly-Vi-Flour, because my baby will not receive adequate fluoride in her diet.
Give babies fluoride or don’t give babies fluoride?

Thanks

Don’t give fluoride! Fluoride is not good for you. It can be very dangerous if swallowed.
http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/fluoride.htm

I just wanteed to give a rundown of how I started my middle child brushing. She is 19 months now and brushes her own teeth as well as her age allows.
As soon as she got her first tooth in I handed her a childs tooth brush. Nothing fancy, just a regular bristle brush. I let her chew on it. We made faces brushing our teeth together in the mirror. Eventually she wanted to brush my teeth and I’d let her use my tooth brush to do mine while I did hers.
Of course there are always going to be those little rough spots, but if you stick with it and don’t let your child turn away for too long you’ll get through it.
We didn’t just make it a game. It was part of a routine. Babies love routines remember. Bath, (tickle) towel dry off, brushing teeth, brush hair, Q-tip clean ears, “Oh pretty girl! Lets go show Daddy how pretty.” :biggrin:
Now she knows the routine and is ready and willing to go to the next step. Gotta get to that Daddy love at te end. lol

I started brushing my child’s teeth with soft cloth. Now I use finger brush and give him a normal toothbrush to brush his teeth himself.
He wants to do everything with his father so both of them brush their teeth together. We have a big mirror in the bathroom where he can see himself brush his teeth & play with water . he loves to see bubbles coming out of his mouth and then splash water on his face.
We go together to the market & he selects his own toothbrush. I change his toothbrush every 15 days…
This things make it easier for me…

We use Waleda Children’s Tooth Gel. It does not contain flouride and is safe to swallow. It has a minty taste and surprisingly our son loved it from the first time we tried it (he was around a year old when I found it at an organic grocery store - before that we were using a fruit-flavored non-flouridated tooth gel sold at the regular grocery store or drug store). In fact he often begs for a second “helping” of toothpaste (which he doesn’t get).

He got his first two teeth at 4 months and I started right away to clean them each night with a wash cloth or the rubber finger brush. He had all his teeth except molars by 12 months, and by his second birthday had gotten all 8 of his molars, so we have had a lot of practice already.

At some point, maybe around 10 months or so, he started clamping down on my finger so I switched to a toddler brush. There were a number of periods that he was resistant to it but I tried to keep it positive by tickling him, getting him to laugh and open his mouth and sneaking the brush in for a few seconds. Sometimes he was better with my husband. For some time now (he turned two in July) he has been fine with it. He always wants to do it himself first and then let’s Mommy “have a turn”. It is part of our naptime and bedtime routine. I try to brush his teeth in the morning too but half the time it doesn’t happen (which is why I added the naptime routine).

Even now, I try to keep it interesting by talking about his teeth, asking to see his molars, etc. Try making up stories about the teeth (give them names even?) and say you want to see them or talk to them.

WHen my son was a few months old the dental hygenist also gave my son a toothbrush to chew. Worked like a charm. We’ve never had much trouble with brushing.

Mind you, for a while my son wasn’t totally into it. It wasn’t a fight, but not his favorite thing to do either. It was around the same time as he had a fever, and so I was putting the thermometer in his armpit to test his temp, occasionally. He really enjoyed that, for some reason (like playing doctor, maybe?), and so I started putting it in one armpit and i would brush until it beeped. Then we’d switch sides and brush until it beeped again. He thought it was fun and I was also sure he got a good brush for about two minutes! Maybe any kind of timer or something special that they get to set for themselves and watch for themselves would entice them to brush teeth.

I’ve also heard that parents should be brushing teeth for kids even up to 7 or 8 years old, just to make sure that all the teeth are getting attention. I guess it’s probably worth it to avoid rotten teeth. I don’t have a 7 year old, though, so I have no idea if that’s unreasonably old to still be brushing for them, or whether they are perfectly capable and responsible enough by that age to take care of it themselves! Just what I have heard. I’ll see when the time comes, I guess!

I will second that one! Fluoride is VERY toxic and it is not safe for children or adults alike.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/08/13/fluoride-supplements.aspx – on supplementing fluoride

http://www.mercola.com/article/links/fluoride_links.htm - very detailed information

It is really important to be informed about possible dangers before exposing your child to chemicals

I was concerned about the toxicity of flouride too and my mom was pushing me to get fluoride supplements for our son (he drinks mostly bottled water). My sister and I got fluoride supplements when we were growing up because we were on well water so that’s where my mom was coming from. Anyway, our Pediatrician said if we cook with tap water (which is fluoridated) he’s getting all the fluoride he needs. We also subscribe to the Mercola site so I’ve read his research recommending avoidance of fluoride.