isiZulu - Who's teaching this as a foreign language

Hello to a small hand full of people lol

I know there’s 4 or less people who’s downloaded my Zulu translations for LR. The text is translated from an Oxford Zulu - English dictionary. The woman’s voice you’ll hear is a native Zulu speaker (not me.) The picture audio’s aren’t exact translations, just some short sentances using the relavent words (I’ve got limited time for this and I want to start teaching my son to read Zulu by June this year, so these catagories are fine for me as they are.) I’ll also be doing the same for Afrikaans.

I’d like to get some tips on how to teach my 1 year old boy Zulu, I’d love for him to learn the language, but resorces seems little and we have little contact with Zulu speaking people. I’ve been suggested to let him watch Takalani Sesame, but we’re not really allowing too much time infornt of the TV. I let W listen to Zulu on the radio and I have one CD with Zulu childrens songs.

What else? Are there board books available in Zulu? I know there’s tons of software, but I can’t find anything for small kids.

If you don’t want home to watch the tv you could just let him listen to it. Should work. Language is auditory not visual :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply Mandabplus3, I’ll keep it in mind :slight_smile:

Hello MamaOfWill

Wow, I’m impressed at how much work you have managed to do with the Zulu lessons. Well done and thank you. I’ll download a few and have a look at them. Does your helper speak to your little boy in Zulu all the time?
I try to get our helper to speak Zulu to my little one but she only works two days a week and unfortunately isn’t able to read. So, the help that you are getting is great.

How does your day work? How many lessons are you covering a day? I haven’t managed to do LR every day unfortunately.

I’m still keen to try introduce my little one to Mandarin because it is so difficult to learn later in life. Are you considering Chinese too now?

Hi Scruff,

While Tina is ironing, W and I will go sit next to her and play and ask her to sing to us, she’s always been happy to do this, loves to sing and knows so many songs. For the rest of the time that she is at our house we leave her alone so she can do her work, but if we do bump into her and chat a bit, I’ll always ask her to repeat what she said in Zulu, or ask her what something is called or how to say something, not spending a lot of time, just quick little chats. We’ve recently started translating the BK catagories, we spend about an hour or so per week, I tanslate the words from a dictionary, many times ending up with many zulu words for the same english word, so Tina helps me choose the best fit for the pictures or most commonly used ones. She’s a great help!

I am concidering Chinese, but if I do start with that it will only be next year sometime.

Don’t worry about not doing the lessons everyday, keep in mind that every little bit helps. Before I started Little Reader, I use to point out words around the house and in books to W, never really thinking that he was learning them. The other day I wrote “Aquafresh” and “Cerelac” and he knew which was wich, I was amased and tried “Noodgeval” and “Konstruksie” (which is from one of his favourite board books) and to my surprize, he also knew them. Who knows how many words he’s already taken in. I tell you, these babies are learning so much it’s amazing!

I’m glad that some people are also making use of my translated catagories, it makes it all the more worth doing.

Hi MamaofWill

Thank you very much for Zulu translations, I am also using them.I’ve been wanting to teach my kids to read isiZulu for a long time now but was unable to because of time and resources. We actually speak isiZulu in the house, We live in England.You have actually inspired me to go ahead and do it.

About you teaching your little 1, i would suggest that you find a Zulu nanny/tutor who will come once a week for about an hour or so who will read to your son Zulu books and play with him.
hope this helps.

Hi LM,

I’m glad that some other people are also using my Zulu catagories, it’s quite an effort to put them together, but I know it would be worth it.

I’m spending about an hour a week with the lady who is helping me with the voice recordings, her name is Tina and she has a little 9 month old baby girl of her own. Once we’re done with all the translations, I’m thinking that she can spend that hour interacting with my son instead.

Tina’s been a great help and is always happy to help with these recordings, she was also glad to hear that there’s other poeple teaching there kids Zulu with these lessons that we are creating.