Is there anyone know where I can buy fridge magnets and flashcard ?

Hi all,

I’m living in Australia, does anyone know in which shop I can buy those fridge magnets and flashcard (I haven’t taught my baby how to read yet, so I would prefer one and a half pieces of A4 paper for flashcard. I want to buy this size in Mandarin; it would be great if anyone know how to get it. Thank you :slight_smile:

As for magnets, which type did you buy? Upper-case or lower-case letter or both? Why? If you only chose one of them, could you share your experience on how to successfully teach baby to learn ABCs so they won’t get confused.

On more question :stuck_out_tongue: What methods have you been using to teach your kids/baby to learn alphabets and numbers? I wish to hear from you so I could sort them out and post it. It will be better for all of us.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Curly,

I don’t have any magnets or flash cards to sell, but wanted to answer your question about the alphabet. We bought both upper-case and lower-case so that way she understands the concept of when she is supposed to use each (this was our personal choice, we didn’t get this info from anybody, so hopefully is right :mellow: ). Our analogy was since you are changing the words they will see them both and they can analize the phonics (we did read this somewhere). For numbers, we are just following Doman’s math method.

Hopefully this helps a little bit! :slight_smile:

Thank you Joha=)

I haven’t ordered Doman’s product. Sorry I am new here. Could you tell me if there is a discussion about all the teaching methods? I have heard a lot about “YBCR" “little reader”, “native reading” (I have been doing it for my baby since she was young.) are they about the same? Which one is better to get started?

I wanna get a rough idea on how to get started from other people’s experience, Thank you very much=)

Curly,

Welcome to this amazing journey! :smiley: All of us were new and I can tell you, you are in the right place :yes: I have found most of my answers here and there are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge and good advice.

This is a good link to readu about YBCR and LR (little Reader)

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/ybcr-and-lr-together-what’s-your-experience/
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/confused-on-how-to-use-ybcr-doman-and-lr-together/

I haven’t heard about native reading, so if you share your experience, it would be great :smiley:

There are a lot of post here for Doman’s method:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/doman-reading-sets-question/
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/gentle-revolution-and-glenn-doman’s-method/

There are some posts for teaching math too, but I’m not sure if that is something you are looking into.

Hope these help! :slight_smile:

Our refrigerator has both upper and lowercase, but I wanted the lowercase more, because the vast majority of what we read are in lowercase.

We bought Leapfrog’s Word Whammer, which at the time came with the upper case letters only, and I bought the lower case set separately. However, the new version of the product comes with the lower case, and the Fridge Phonics still comes with upper case, so if you buy both products, you get both sets. Both of these are sold widely in the US, and also on Amazon.

I also have fridge magnets that have common endings of words, like “un,” “ook,” “ight,” “ould,” etc. so my child could easily and quickly substitute letters to make rhymes and get the idea of some nonphonetic spellings. Those I made by putting plain contact paper over the flat printable magnets that people give you as promotions and writing in permanent ink. My contact paper was almond, so it blends into the fridge almost too well–they don’t catch his eye as much, so he’s not as quick to grab them, but he’s starting to use them more.

to Joha:

Thank you very much for your info. I’ve decided to buy YBCR, but unfortunately they only do delivery to US and Canada=((((. I found there are 5 DVDs avilable on ebay. Do you know if it’s good enough if I can’t get the other materials?

I found this web site when I was trying to search more info about Glenn Doman’s product.
http://www.childandme.com/encyclopedic-knowledge-animals/
This web site looks great, it contains so many flashcards. Does it look similar to Glenn Doman’s product?

As for native reading, check out the free ebook from this web site " teaching your baby to read" chapter 6

to cybermommy

Thank you very much! I guess I might as well get both. :stuck_out_tongue: I will update with our experience, hopefully it will be helpful to other parents.

Dear Curly,

I think the DVD’s are a great resource. My daughter loves them :yes: You can always make the flash cards yourself.

Regarding Doman’s products, he has different sets and they are actually physical materials. The website is www.gentlerevolution.com. childandme.com has great resources for flash cards presentations. You can also find great presentations here under the free downloads section.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I would use lower case letters because they are more readily found in reading. Upper case are only used at the beginning of sentences and names.

I’m in Victoria, but would be same for any decent sized town/city… look in cheap $2 type discount stores or Golo, sams warehouse, Reject Shop etc for cheapest fridge magnets. Aldis had a tub of them for sale a few months ago. You’ll find them from 2.5cm big to about 4cm big). Target, Kmart etc Always have them, and they have the better Leap frog Vtech or Fisher price type ones (cant remember who makes them all) that sit in a battery operated thing and says the letters, sounds of the letters, sings the alphabet song. Toyword, ToysRUs etc would all sell this sort of thing. No postage costs then. (usually $20 a set on sale for the Leap frog fridge phonics). (And it’s sung /said “zed” not “zee” if you buy inside Australia).
Kmart etc also sell foam alphabets of different heights and thicknesses for playing with in the bath. They’re like $7 a set.
The more expensive way to go is to order through School Teachers resources catalogues (you can buy much of this stuff cheaper elsewhere)…I have a couple I’m salivating over but mainly want to get word magnets to make sentences with…
eg. Kangaroo www.hop.com.au …(you can buy adhesive foam letters, felt letters, stick-on letters like scrapbookers use, activity plastic lacing letters and numbers, alphabet beads, (in the art and craft section!). The English section has plastic phonics cubes to join together into words, lowercase lacing alphabet set (to make words like beading a necklace), word family magnets (phonics), and sight-word Tactile cards sets which would make good flashcards. Expensive though…$110 a set of 75 cards 9cm high. But very montessori as she taught via sandpaper letters. Also www.edex.com.au
Look on ebay aus.
Opshops have various things…I got huge plastic alphabet letters yesterday for $2 from the Salvos. I’ve got wooden tiles of numbers and letters…just keep popping in and looking.

Here are some great magnetic alphabet letters: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|productSubCat~~p|2534374302096059~~f|/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/language/wordbuilding.jsp

Thank you everyone!

I just bought some flashcards and foam alphabets in toys r us. Flashcards and foam alphabets in toys r us are not expensive. I bought them AU$3-5 each. They sell alphabets magnets & foam letters as well.

Hopefully it helps to other parents.

onestepahead or leaps and bounds has the word whammer,fridge phonics magnetic letter set & fridge farm animal set… for flashcards, i just ordered their My First Touch n Feel Flashcards & Matching colors n Texture Puzzle…