Is it worth my child learning how to subitize by using Glenn Doman

Hi,

I’m new to this website. But have followed the forum and have read a few posts. I’m wonder if some could help me with some advice. My son is 20 months old, he knows numerals 1-20 in order. He can physically count items ups to five, possibly, more. I wanted to ask whether, it was worthwhile doing GD Math dots as it is advisable, that a child should not be expose to numerals before he starts the program. Has anyone taught their child GD math despite their child being able to read numerals? If not what other methods have you used to teach math?

Thank you so much :blush:

Does anyone have any suggestions? :frowning:

I have not been able to find any evidence to support the claims made in the GD maths book. The latest research has shown that babies are not able to subitize beyond three or four. This limit also applies to adults. Adults take longer to state quantities beyond this limit.

The claims made in the GD maths book are not supported by the available evidence. The IAHP have also confirmed that babies lose the claimed ability to subitize sometime prior to their third birthday. Please note that their are no cases of adult savants with the ability to subitize to 100.

I would suggest that you consider Ten Frames to develope a sense of ten and place value. Babies can recognise larger quantities if presented in patterns - conceptual subitizing.

Four types of cards to consider. Ten Frames, Dice, other fixed patterns and random dots from 1 to 10. Your might also want to incorporate colour.

Eight as shown on a ten frame in one colour is clearly 5 + 3 or 10 - 2
Using different colours reveals number bonds to your child - 5 could be shown as on a dice in two colours to demonstrate 1 + 4 and 2 + 3. Remember that your child can only subitize upto 4 so ensure that larger quantities are either shown as a fixed pattern, groups of known patterns and use colour to reveal number bonds. For example nine shown as three rows of three each in a different colour or as a group of 5 and 4 as seen on a dice.

See Number Sense Series: A Sense of Ten and Place Value for more on Ten Frames.

Hope that my response helps.

Chris.

You might find this video useful

Teachers TV: Primary Maths How Do They Do It In Hungary? YouTube.

:slight_smile: Chris

Wow… Thanks so much Chris! I’ve given me so much to think about. I’ve looked at everything you’ve given me and feel as though the route you’ve suggested is the best way forward. I was looking into purchasing LM, but couldn’t workout if i could do the ten frame on LM curriculum or if I would need to purchase LM basic? Thanks so much again :smiley: