Is it really important to teach your baby orders of operation?

Being a mathematician, I realize the answer is wrong if orders of operation are not used. In the valuable time that we have to teach our babies everything we would like for them to learn before they reach the magic age of three or six and this method of teaching no longer exist I think that teaching them quantity is more important. Order of operations can be taught at a later age in about two minutes. What do you think?

Are you talking about BIDMAS/BODMAS?

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/maths-equations/msg13380/#msg13380

yes

As mentioned in that thread, I would suggest the following:

1. If you’re worried about the BIDMAS rule, then teach equations in such an order where the rules would not be violated. (so don’t show 4 + 10 / 2, but rather, 10 / 2 + 4 isntead)

2. Don’t worry about the rule, because since you’re not showing the equation as an entirety but rather in sequence, it’s more like asking your child what is 4 + 10, and then next, take that and divide by 2.

Since we can only flash cards in sequence, i think it would be most confusing if we were to apply the BIDMAS rule, and more logical to do it as in point 2 above.

thanks kl. you always make things easy

I totally agree. Thank you!

What you do in essence is (4+10)/2 ?
You can indicate with the tone of your voice the difference between that and 4+10/2

I think the opening bracket and closing bracket should be included so that user has the option of use. Even if () are made available, users can choose not to use them if they do not want. But those who think that this is important will be very much appreciated.

I totally agree, if one knows the order of operation and the need to use brain in mathematics instead of jut by hearting it helps in everything in daily life