Is it ok to flash 25 words at one time?

I do real paper flash cards with my 13 month old 3x/day. We do it when she is having her bottle once in the morning, once again when she is having her bottle before her nap, and then again with her bottle before bed. I show her 25 cards each session. So the same 25 words are shown 3 times in one day. She just calmly stares at them while she is drinking down her bottle.

Do you think 25 words at one time is too much? Sometimes I show half the words and then stop for about a one minute and then do the other half. Is there a rule about how much a baby can be flashed at one time?

To give you a visual, she is usually sitting on my lap and we are both facing straight ahead and she leans her back against me as she drinks so she doesn’t ever really see my face as I am saying the words (is that a problem?) and I use a clear loud voice. At the end I say “good job!” It’s so easy that I almost feel like I’m not doing enough. Although, this only works if she is drinking her bottle. Otherwise she won’t sit for flash cards for more than 2 seconds.

I think you should do as many as your baby will look at. As long as she is not squirming or looking away, it should be fine.

I recently had the same question, then I read in the forum to get an answer for myself. I have read about the TweedleWink method, one flashcards lesson lasts 8 minites and it teach several topics languages, maths,… in a lesson. One lesson should be played 1-3 times. That means, our kids still can learn at those rate. What an astonishing amount and speed!

hi
i have the same question but for older child (2 years) its some times hard to make them set and just listen or watch!!! so i just do it barely twice a day with 5 words and one day off but i m sure that she memorize all what i gave her

I think what you are doing is fine as long as she is interested and not looking away or trying to get up and go. Although I follow the math program as suggested, I have adjusted the reading program to fit me and my son. Happy Teaching!!

You can give him as many as you want as long as he is attentive and happy.

You can show as many as your baby allows you and 25 is not a lot if your baby is enjoying them. Repeating them is the best because this way she will store the information… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

in my experience, 25 cards at one sitting is fine, as long as your baby is enjoying them. my 13 month old has been doing the reading program since she was 9 months old and loves it. i mostly show her physical flashcards that i have prepared myself with a group of at least 15 words and 10 couplets (or more)- word on one side, flip over to picture. i show them 3x per day (up to 25 cards at one sitting) for 3 or 4 days in a row. i haven’t “tested” her until recently and have found that after the second day she can 100% identify the words correctly (i say “show me … xxxx” and she zealously grabs the correct card!!!). it’s so rewarding to see that!!!
initially i was showing only the word (no picture on the back) and have found that since i’ve drawn or pasted a picture on the back of the card she will stop whatever she is doing to look at the cards. she really seems to enjoy the combo of the word on one side, picture on the other side…
i think you are fine to show 25 words at one sitting…

1. What about maching cards .any ideas please ,to do them like playing cards .maching shapes and colours.any sites to dounload them.

I would show one set of 20 or more flash cards to my baby 3 times per day, as you are doing. My son learned to read just fine. I would also show him some word books I made him after the flash cards. In some sessions he may have seen over 50 words and he was happy. If he didn’t want so much, he would see only a few. Just gear it towards your baby’s interest level.

I had the same question. I show my daughter over 20 cards at each sitting and I didnt know if it was too much. I show her cards while she is having breakfast, lunch and tea. She sits happily and looks at each one, smiling at words she recognises. eg. cat, dog…as we have these animals and say the names all the time. I still dont know if she is learning to read them as I havent tested her and she cant talk yet but I think that as long as she is happy I will keep showing them to her.

Also, if I take them away too early she will get upset as she really enjoys our little learning game. :slight_smile:

My dd wants all her cards everytime. She just says or signs more everytime I stop. She will sit through all the Continents, 25 words, 12 bits of knowledge and her dot cards to 25, in one setting. This is just recent but once you are done the one set she’s reaching for the next.

i was very busy trying to get ready the LR when I first started so was using all the sets in every lesson and he doesnt complain, now he’s used to it and in all sets (local language and english) he has a favourite word and he’d wait till I flash that card for him, good for me so i can always hide that card for the last one!
now i make sure i have one word he like so to keep him keen and anticipating
i guess he’s learnin phonics on his own too, cos now a days as his main interest is construction vehicles, he loves the Vehicle pictionary book, and reads the words, rather than guess from pictures. I say this cos when i hide the pic and ask him to read pointing to the word, he reads… and also he guess words based on letters and familiarity, like wen i show plate he says pate! so i take this as a huge improvement!
and yeah he sometimes sees more than 25 at one time and there are times i have to stop at 3words even! random mind of toddlers!!!

something like this?
http://www.numbernut.com/basic/activities/symbol_mem20_shapenames.shtml

http://www.lessonsense.com/shapes/shapegame.pdf