Is it normal for a 13 month old to pretend to read

About two days ago i realized that when my son saw a piece of paper with words on it he would pick it up and stare at it. He also did this with a DVD. He would look at it for a minute or so then throw it down and go on to the next thing. Today, I caught his flipping threw a board book and was chatting (pretending to read it).
I have been reading to him since birth and has recently started point at the words when i read to him…hmmmm.
does that mean he can read?

I think this is a really good sign. He is certainly interested and I would make the most of that interest and encourage it, read to him more, give him books with big writing. If you want to know if he is reading you can play some games - make big words and ask him to choose which one is correct, or put words up in your house and ask him to go and find the word that says “ball”, etc. Most likely he is reading, if not it won’t be long!

Even if he is not reading, just pretending is such a nice sign that he is interested in words, I will recomend whenever he is pretending to read dont tell him NO , just tell him the meaning of the word and move on with next word. I used to read to my daughter since she is on my belly too, Catalina started to love books since she was a baby, everytime she cried for somethinh I just read books to her and she will be happy, now she is 22 months old, she can play with books hours and hours, even we got her a play kitchen for christmas, she doesn’t even play with it, she goes to her bedroom sits on her chair and looks books after books…and she brings the books to me to read to her also…she can’t stop, sometimes I just want to play with her with some blocks or kitchen stuff but she will turn her back and go for books…I think sometimes is too much…but I think is a great habit. ALSO her flashcards…everyday at evrytime!!! jusy crazy.
So keep it up and your child can became a great reader!
good luck.
Maybe to motivate him a little more the reading, put books in her bedroom,in your bedroom, in the kitchen,in the living room ,in the car seat(when she is riding the car), in the pay room even in the bathroom. That’s what a do since she was born. And I think it help her to get into books a lot.

Felicity did a lot of pretend-read with books at around that age too!

Doesn’t by itself mean she can read, but it does show she is interested in books, which is a great sign!

Many years ago before I knew about Doman my two year old was pretending to read herself a story. Someone actually asked me if she could read and I of course said no. Babies don’t read. I had no clue. Anyway, any interest in books is great. If you are not text pointing when you read maybe you should start. More important than just reading as a baby is to love to read and that is a priceless gift you can give to your child.