Is it a proof or just accident?

I want to share my experience: I started Doman math with my son when he was 2. We’ve been doing the dots for about 4 months now. We are at the stage when he has 3 different 3 step equations plus one problem solving: 3 step equation with the option for him to choose between two cards. He sometimes chooses the right answer, sometimes the wrong. But 2 days ago this is what happened: he had the options to choose 10 or 14. Before he came to touch the card, he SAID “ten”, and then came to the right answer “ten” dot card!!! I was speechless.
Does anyone has any story like this? I would love to know what happened that day. Was it just an “accident”?
Since then a one time as if he was trying to say “four” and also “thirty-something” but he didn’t or just half of the word, so I don’t know.

I hesitate to share this because it’s…unconventional, but I learned this week my DD may be recognizing quantity as well. Several times over the past few days she’ll glance at her little Potty after doing her business and proudly exclaim “WOW LOOK! Nine poopies!” or “Wow! Seven poopies!”

I had to really look today and count to figure out that she was right, it was nine. LOL I’ve never tested on quantity recognition so this is the first inkling that something is sticking.

So there you have it folks. Never mind that my 26 month old DD is halfway through a first grade reading curriculum, what matters is that I know Doman works because DD can count poop! lol :wink:

(okay, that was pretty much a joke but my hubby and I did find the whole thing hilarious. And it really is the first suggestion that she may be able to recognize quantity. Is this the real deal or not? I’m not sure, I might print out some cards tomorrow for her to look at. We normally just do LM on the TV.)

Oh and to answer your question- Yes, of course your baby is learning math! And seems to be doing great at it!

ETA: Super job Mommy and Baby! Keep it up, it’s working!!

Thanks for sharing your story, it is hilarious. And congrats to your DD and you too! May I ask you when you started the reading with her?
The last couple of days I show my son a few dot cards to choose from, but not with equation just as simple choice like : where is 67… I do it only one time a day, the other two times I go with the schedule. It is really interesting, that since then he didn’t make any mistake yet. I assume it means that he really can recognize these quantities. The equations are obviously more difficult for him, I can see that he’s hesitating between the options. Not every time dough.

That is awesome! He really does know his math and is progressing very well. He could give DD some pointers! lol

Re: Reading

Baby Signing Time- from 4 months to 13 months (with words on the screen, so I don’t know if I should count that or not as reading?)

13 months to about 17 months- YBCR consistently with flashcard reinforcement & preschool prep (colors, shapes, numbers, letters, and about 50 sight words with sight word flashcard reinforcement)

15 months or so?- Started LR & LM, still using it now with DD & younger DS

16 months-Learned letter sounds mostly from youtube videos, also introduced the Leapfrog Word factory around this time

17 months- Started My Montessori House series (lots of sounding out)- This is the series that got her over the hump to being able to read new words versus only reading sight words

19.5- She started sounding out words phonetically out loud but I’m pretty sure she was doing it before then in her head before she verbalized & demonstrated it

20 months- Started Hooked on Phonics DVD’s, just playing them in the background during free play.

23 months- Started YCCR and started using Hooked on phonics in it’s “intended” fashion, 1 lesson at a time and the corresponding workbook pages as coloring pages. We watch the video in the morning (typically 3-7 minute lessons, I sometimes just play half because the words repeat twice) and do the worksheets later when my son takes his morning nap.

We started with HOP Kindergarten semester 1, then K semester 2. They were all CVC words and she moved through it quickly, but it was good practice for her reading stamina and it gave her confidence. After about a month of HOP, she was able to read Preschool Prep and HOP easy readers straight through (about 8 pages) which was a huge breakthrough for her.

Now at a little over 26 months she’s doing the first grade semester 1 books. She can decode at a first grade level but she still needs to build her stamina considerably. But, she doesn’t speak in huge, lengthy paragraphs yet so I am not really concerned because when she becomes more and more verbal, the stamina will catch up with her decoding skills. Since the stories are getting longer in the first grade set versus the K, normally we take turns reading the pages/sentences and she is able to keep up with that in the workbook readers. Often, we will read the same story the next day but I will have her read the pages she heard me read the day before. I catch her reading her books all the time, running her finger along the words just like when I read to her, slightly mumbling the words quietly to herself. From the time I started “intentionally” teaching her to read until she began reading new words on her own was about 6 months total.

Hope that helps!

Hi, can I just ask a side question please. You mention showing little math on tv? How are you able to connect the tv screen to the computer? There are some programs that I don’t know how to make DVD’s out of and showing them like this would really help. Thanks

http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader-how-tos-and-faqs/how-to-connect-your-laptop-to-the-tv/

I use a simple HDMI cable to plug my laptop into my TV, one end in the laptop and the other in the TV. And then select the appropriate “source” setting on my TV, which in our case is “HDMI Input.”

And you may have to adjust the setting on your speakers like me, and tell the laptop to send the sound to the TV, not the laptop speakers.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Yes, it helps a lot. My son is 22 months and likes reading- thats the most important thing. But I think he needs more time or just shy, even with me (sometimes I know he knows, but he wants me to read it, and I don’t force him). I’m running my finger along the words too and my son often do it and there are some words he can read/ sometimes just from memory. Here we are right now. I’m patient, because I know, we have nothing to lose. We have fun reading and I hope he will love books later too.
Thank you again for your help.
Stodd

Thanks for the tip. I should have known that a topic such as this would have been discussed at the forum here . Thanks again for helping to guide me to the answer.
Liza

Hi “teachingmytoddler” Mom,
I would like to ask something. You said, your little one was about 18 months (or so) when you introduced the letters to her. I didn’t think about it before. Do you think that that helped her reading and decoding new words? Maybe I should start it. (???)
Thanks,
Stodd