iPad TV shows or movies for a 3.5 year old

We watch very little TV around here, just some educational DVDs. I would like to have a few movies or TV shows for dd to watch on the iPad. I’ve found tons of apps for her, but because we don’t watch much TV, I am stumped as to which shows to buy. Can anyone suggest some that would be suitable for a 3.3 year old? Educational shows would be great.
Thank you
Laura

hi, i must start by saying that this will not be a really useful sort of post, but still. you mention the ipad. i specifically bought the ipad for my daughter to use as a teaching tool but the whole time we use it, we spend fighting over its control. do you have this problem and how did you solve it? i try to tell her, first we will see the words and then you can play, and she says “words, words” but as soon as i put them on she says “bye bye” and turns it off. she is 20 months old and was very quick at figuring how to turn things on and off. i think it’s a shame that we can’t lock the screen to prevent our children from clicking all over the place. also, would you mind telling me which apps you have used and like?
thanks so much,
liza

Hi, We don’t use the iPad to flash word cards, so I think that makes it easier. The iPad is for free play, so dd can play whatever she wants. Otherwise, I would have a fight on my hands too!

Some of the games dd likes are: Park math HD, FW deluxe (she spends a lot of time playing this), iTouch iLearn, My First Couplets, ABCville, the Smart baby apps, & any of the kindergarten.com flashcards. ,

What apps do you like?

We have been doing something fun. My daughter is fascinated with classic fairy tales. At the moment Little Red Riding Hood is her favorite. So I have read a few different versions to her. Then, on the iPad, we watched different YouTube versions of the classic tale, plus some music videos of Sam The Sham singing “L’il Red Riding Hood.” Finally today we printed out the lyrics for the song too. There are lots of fry/dolch words in the song. Currently she just pretends to follow the lyrics on the paper, but I’m hoping eventually we can get some reading mileage out of it. But my point is that even some free videos that aren’t intended to be educational can be very interesting and can promote imaginative thought and intellectual exercises. My daughter spends lots of time making up her own Little Red Riding Hood stories. Recently she made up a story where Little Red Riding Hood tamed the wolf. Now the wolf eats cheddar cheese and graham crackers ( no more little girls). Maybe in a year or two, I can even encourage her to write her version.

Lori

Thanks for the great idea - I never thought about you tube!

my daughter likes anything on the ipad, i think she just likes the ipad itself. i don’t know why they couldn’t have included an option to lock the screen, that way i could just have her watch the flashcards (baby apps) and then allow her to play with it, or not. the way it is now, i’d rather not use it for teaching since there’s always drama after.

Hi all, I m a new user. My daughter is 4.5. Little reader does not support iPad can u pl suggest what I can do in this case or can u suggest few more apps 4flash cards.

Thanks,
Hetal

We have a bunch on ours, but the best one has been “Mousey Kindergarten” as we call it. I think it might be called “Teach Me Kindergarten” and has a picture of a mouse on it. But it’s been invaluable for helping solidify addition and subtraction.

I found it, here it is http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teachme-kindergarten/id336689375?mt=8

Signing Time has one that I need to DL soon. I will look at the other ones later and try to post them. There is another older post about this topic by DadDude that may be helpful to look up as well.

Hi Khushi,

Little Reader doesn’t support IPad but you could use the solution suggested by KL. Please see forum post: http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/little-reader-available-on-the-ipad-today!/

Enjoy :smiley:

Cheers,
Gilma