Introduction and progress so far with a 7,5 month old!

Thank you everyone for your contribution in this forum! You guys are an inspiration to us! So far, I have been following PokerCub Wild Childhood adventure blog and we are basically doing most of the activities listed in there. Thank you PokerCub and parents!

WHAT WE HAVE BEEN DOING
My LO is now 7,5 months old and I have been doing lots of early learning things with him since his birth. We are using Little Reader (English and Chinese), Little Math and Little Musician. We have also started Encyclopedic knowledge with animals and mathematics.

I have been reading quite a lot early learning literature and my favorite books are:
• Doman, How smart is your baby?
• Fowler, Talking from infancy
• Neil Harvey, Kids Who Start Ahead
• Ph.D. John Gottman, et al, Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child The Heart of Parenting
• Geoff Colvin, Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else

I have also bought these but haven’t yet had time to read these:
• Karen Quinn, Testing for Kindergarten
• Suzette Haden Elgin, The Gentle Art of Communicating with Kids
• Karen McCreadie, George S. Clason’s The Richest Man in Babylon: A 52 brilliant ideas interpretation
• Dr. Haim G. Ginott, et al, Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication

MOTOR DEVELOPMENT
I think that the most import area you can work with your baby is the motor development (mainly tummy time and balance activities) because those are the are developing slowest. Our little one is now sitting with perfect posture and he is creeping to all places. He pulls himself up to standing position about 30 times a day and seems to be practicing to improve his balance.

We have been eaten a lot of finger food and he is now able to drink all the water he needs by himself from a baby cup and able to eat about half of a pear without any help. He was also able to grasp a frozen raspberry yesterday with too fingers and put it to his mouth. I think he hated it because he didn’t put another one to his mouth after that! lol

LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
Another area which I consider import is the language development. We have been reading a lot since infancy and also practiced letter sounds. For the past four months we have been labeling everything we see and for the past week I have been starting to use a lot of two word combinations (mom’s shirt, yellow book and so on…).

He seems to be able to use couple of simple words within a context. On top of these words he is using all the alphabets in his babbling and saying a lot of words in context but as he is babbling a lot (2hours/day?) it is hard to know yet which one of these he really knows. He has also started kind of a singing/babbling. When ever we watch Little Musician, he starts to sing notes like do, re and la with a weird baby tone. He is also singing with using babbling words when ever I sing to him or we watch some music videos.

WHATS NEXT
Any parent with a baby should do what ever the parent thinks is interesting and fun activity to do together. This could be singing, dancing, swimming, talking or what ever seems like fun! If I would try to do something I don’t like such as walking in parks or reading poems (which I hate!), it would result to unhappy baby and unhappy parent. So instead we are doing everything that I find fun such as dancing, laughing a lot, studying languages and listening to music.

To summarize, our little one seems to be a very happy young baby who enjoys a lot of different kind of things and is great fun to be around. I think early learning has affected a lot to his personality making him positive, laughing a lot and wanting to learn more. All this early learning has been very rewarding indeed! :smiley:

That is wonderful! Thank you for such a lovely update on your little one, sounds like he is doing fantastic!! Great job momma and baby. :slight_smile:

Great post, glad to have you here!

I need to update the blog. A lot of time has gone by now and it’s probably time.

Anyway, sounds like you’re up and running great!

sounds really agree, totally agree on the fun part and the importance of language and motor development, and especially emotional development as well of course.

your reading list looks great, i know most books but didn’t know the Geoff Colvin one, have just downloaded it to my kindle.