Interesting books in spanish.

Hi everyone!

I am not a mother but I am passionate about children & education. I also speak spanish as a first language. I was thinking about launching a website in which I would review books in spanish for children that I find interesting. I would also link useful resources or/ and videos in spanish that teach about things like History for example. Would anyone find that interesting?

yes, yes & yes!!

I just commented to someone else how long it took me to find some children’s songs & lullabies in Spanish. I live in a 3rd world country; not a single person could teach me a lullaby or recommend a children’s book that they had read when they were young. I feel so badly for them, I am regularly in homes/ shacks where there is not a single book… but plenty crates of empty beer bottles. I don’t have any educated locals to recommend good Spanish educational ipad apps for example!!

You are probably aware of these sites but a couple that I have found useful are:
www.mommymaestra.com
www.gbp.org/salsa - there are some free episodes on their site

If you were to set up a site, I would like to see book recommendations divided by age/ reading ability, with books that are entirely in Spanish, not bilingual. Most sites I have gone to seem to be aimed at mummies teaching Sp as a second language when they are not really familiar with it themselves. I want my little boy to know/ be exposed to Spanish literature as he will know English. latinbabybookclub has Sp themed books featured usually but they are usually English or bilingual.

I want to know about Spanish children’s classics (not translations), examples of early reader series… & with Spanish themes. People here don’t know what sheep & snow are :slight_smile: In saying that I don’t mind books translated from English but it’s nice when you can read books about the local culture you are exposed to. I actually just got a translation of a book by Jane Belk Monclure & “the velveteen rabbit” in Spanish as well :slight_smile: but I only came across them by chance as I didn’t know how the title was translated & therefore didn’t know how to search for it!

Thanks!
Lois

Oh yes! Many of us would use that site :biggrin:
Links to books that ship world wide would be good. As well as sample pages ( even just one page photo!)
I like the bilingual books myself as I don’t speak Spanish.
My kids like to watch Spanish speaking video clips.

Well, thank you for the responses!.
It will take me some time to set up the website, though. I have also found books that can be downloaded for free so I would also add those links.

GOOD IDEA!! UP!!!

This is a great idea!

Thank you for the positive feedback. I have already a wordpress website, but I am still trying to understand how to customize it. I am also unsure as to use a host or not.

I like it. I would love a website the also provided easy information on Spanish books, info such as if it does have English, size of the font, # of words/ sentences per page, style of illustrations, and a sample picture of the inside would be very helpful.

@hinata: I would love to help you get your idea off the ground. I have a guy who works on my Wordpress and I’d be willing to donate some of his time to help you with your site. Let me know how I can help. I’m very committed to Spanish and if I can help the community I’m all for it.

Thank you for showing interest. Yes, I have already customize my site, I think it looks good but I´m may be biased. I am on my way to review one book. I don´t know if I should have a host for my web though.

basically comes down to these:
Monetization and Advertisements: Wordpress.com (free) does not allow you to include advertisements of any kind.
Customization: Wordpress.com provides a limited amount of space and customization options (although enough for most beginner bloggers).
Knowledge: Wordpress.org requires more technical knowledge than Wordpress.com.
Future Requirements: If your blog becomes popular, switching to Wordpress.org requires moving your blog and obtaining a new domain name and URL address.

check out this article…it’s the most complete I’ve seen regarding your question.
http://weblogs.about.com/od/choosingabloghost/p/WordpressOvrvw.htm

I am definitely interested. Please keep us informed. Richard, you are so kind to offer to help out. God bless you!

@Krista: Thanks for those words, it means a lot to me coming from someone who is such a contribution to this community.

The offer is there for anyone who needs help, I want to see this community grow even bigger and really be heard by everyone!

I finally wrote a review. I didn´t especify an appropiate age, because that depends on the child. For native spanish speakers this book would be aimed at 7-year-olds. If you have any suggestion I would love to read it. http://livingspanishforchildrendotcom.com/