Interesting article about teaching math

Here is an interesting article about a father who taught his kids math.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/life/family/11100/playing-with-numbers

Here is “the money quote”:

1. Counting Practice: This is a one-minute practice for young children. The parent repeats every number from one to 10 aloud and has the child has do the same. Once the child becomes fluent at the one-to-10 counting, try backward counting from 10 to one. Keep track of the amount of time used on the counting in order to observe development.

In a more advanced step, increase the numbers and reduce the time allowed.

1. Guessing the beads: This is also a one-minute activity. Use five beads that are large enough to prevent them from being swallowed. Hold a number of beads visibly in your hand and ask the child to look at them and ‘‘guess’’ how many beads there are. If the child is not able to count, the parent will show them by counting the beads out loud and have the child repeat the numbers.

For example, show the child that there are three beads in your hand and say ‘‘one, two, three, so there are three beads.’’ Soon, the child will be able to count without your help.

1. Hundred Number Board: A 10-minute activity utilising the Hundred Number Board, which has a chart of numbers in numerical order from one to 100.

Say a number and have the child put a tile piece with that number in the cell with the same number. Use only five tiles at first. You may demonstrate how to do this and repeat it as needed before allowing the child to perform. As the child becomes better with the activity, reduce the time allotted and increase the numbers of tiles to 10, and then 20, and so on, until the child is able to put all 100 tiles in the cells. At an advanced level for older children, the parent may have the child write the numbers in the cells instead of using the tile pieces.

1. Writing the numbers: Use large cards, each with a large number on it. Read each card to the child and have him move his finger on the card along the number as if he was writing it. At the end of the activity, you may allow the child to paint the numbers in the card, which is a good way to relax.

Once the child has completed the four math activities, they should be allowed to play or do whatever that they want to in order to allow them to relax. The parents must remind themselves that young children have a short attention span, so they should try to make children feel that they are playing fun games when they are doing the math activities. For good results, children should also practice the four activities regularly.

=============

I have never before wanted to learn Thai…! But I’d like to know what else this guy did with his kids.

Me too! :smiley:

me too,

I have always been fascinated by numbers and loved it when all around me hated it!
and now i am reading a book called Murderous maths:numbers the key to the universe (http://www.amazon.com/Numbers-Key-Universe-Murderous-Maths/dp/0439981166) and its amazing

for instance check this out
http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/books/bkmm8xgr3.htm

check the whole site and you’d be interested toknow even more if you like numbers!

and thanks Daddude again for that summary

I tried to search the book by Pho Thee on internet to see if it’s available for buying. But I didn’t find it anywhere :frowning:

I looked for it too, no luck! If anyone comes across it, please let us all know.

Is anybody familiar with Kageyama method?

Wow interesting!

Aside from reading,writing,and science,I think learning math is also important.
Thanks Daddude for the summary,I will teach those to my son.
And thanks to all,I really learn a lot from this forum.

We did all four games yesterday morning. This morning he requested the games again, but wasn’t as interested after we got to the second one…maybe we took too long.

DadDude,

Thanks for the summary. Those do sound like fun games. I wonder what age he started his kids on that. My 4yo would enjoy it. But my 15mo would just eat the beads : )

Angie

I have some info about Kageyama method that working in “Pho Thee” group.
Step 1 put a tile piece in the cell for 1-10 for the beginner.
Step 2 put a tile piece in the cell for 1-30
Step 3 put a tile piece in the cell for 1-50
Step 4 take out the numbers from the hundred number board. From roll 1-10 , and 41-50 first then column 10-50, and 1-41.
Step 5 take out the number from all roll in frame (see picture)
Step 6 Change the hundred number board that first 1-50 is without number.
Step 7 take out all number from the hundred number board.
Target: child can put a tile piece in the board without 1-100 showed within 10-15 mins.
Step 8: put a tile piece in the board without 1-100 showed within 10-15 mins or less.
For those 8 steps, child aged less than 2-3 years old with regularly 4-6 months practice can meet the target.

see the sample of the the hundred number board at http://community.momypedia.com/webboard_topic.aspx?tid=50726

I am not understanding what you are saying. Can you please describe it again. Thanks! :confused:

Thanks nathathai!k!
Unfortunately :mellow: I don’t know Thai, so could you tell me

1. If numbers are written on the board as well as tiles?
    2."Step 7 take out all number from the hundred number board.
    Target: child can put a tile piece in the board without 1-100 showed within 10-15 mins. "
    All pieces or one? Are the tiles just mixed up on the table? Does he/she put them in order (looks for 9 after 8 ) or random (puts in what he/she picks up)
  2. Is there more to it ? (addition…)

Dear KUAngie!
Use the raisins lol

Nikolett, all
Sorry that I may not able to explain so clear. :biggrin:

1. Yes the numbers are written on the board as well as tiles. Then once child can matching, then remove the number on the hundred number board. So they learn to count it.
  2. All pieces. Firstly, the tiles should be put in order, in advance they are mixed up. He/she put them in order. In advance level, he/ she can skip 1 or 2 that will be useful for the number sense and 2’s Multiplication.
  3. Can teach about odd, even number, 2’s- 3’s Multiplication. I’m just thinking that this can be applied for addition. For example, we have 2 tiles in the board and add one more then it’s 3, thing like that for subtraction too. This makes math visible& tangible.

I have some samples attached.

Tips: you can use any pictures of your child, animals, things that interesting on the table that encourage to play this game.
Hope this help, good luck!!

Thank you for explaining!
Did you attach the right file? I don’t see anything… :confused:

I think I will teach all this to my baby in the future.

From where do you acquire the tile board?

Nikolett, the picture shows on the top of the excel. let check again.

Khatty, For board, just print 1-100 in A3 paper and paste on the cardboard or the magnet sheet. The tile also can be cardboard or manet sheet.