Interesting article about an early learner

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/At-age-14-math-whiz-fits-in-well-at-Houston-1772798.php

That’s nice–but as far as I’m concerned, it isn’t the goal. That kid could have spent another seven years studying (homeschooling) before going to college for the credential; he could have gotten a truly deep and broad base of knowledge. I’m sure he’s a genius and knows lots about a lot, but I doubt he’s learned nearly as much as a really diligent, well-educated college junior–there just isn’t enough time, even if you’re a fast reader and have a good memory. It isn’t how fast you get to college, it’s the quality of your intellect (and character) at the conclusion of your formal education that determines whether you have had a good education.

And, if I may add, some things are learned along with age and life experience. You just can’t skip them or learn them from someone else or from books. And you can’t learn them before your body, your whole being is prepared for that. In my view, those things are important for our children. And some of them go hand in hand with formal education. For instance, comparing 2 people of different ages - one faculty student aged 20 (sustained by his family, let’s say) and one aged 30 (having a family, kids, job, responsabilities). From those 2, in most cases the second one will benefit the most from the teachings and from what he’s learning because he’s life experience has taught him to discern what’s useful for his life and what not, and he has other priorities than the first student. This situation happened to me and to my husband too. We both went to faculty while being married, or, in his case, while having also a kid and a job.

To sum it up, no matter how hard I’d try to teach my children certain things earlier, they won’t be able to grasp them before the’re ready for them.
Just knowing a lot and being a genius in one or more fields is one. But knowing a lot and being able to use your knowledge in real life is another - this is what we (hubby and I) want for our children.

I do agree that 11 is too young for college. From what I’ve read, a lot of homeschoolers start community college at 16 and have their degrees by 20. I also doubt that he comprehended a lot of Hamlet at age 4. Even my 3.5 year old could probably “read” quite a bit of Hamlet (if she wasn’t so stubborn) but The Magic Tree House, some abrigdged classics and some Roald Dahl books are the kinds of things she can actually understand well enough to sit still and listen to. But I find the article interesting because this boy doesn’t seem to have been damaged in any way by his early learning experiences. Something we are repeatedly told will happen if we teach our toddlers and preschoolers anything beyond letters, colors and basic shapes.

I agree with DadDude, but only of homeschooling him longer (or at all) is an option.

I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules about early college, and the students who may use this option.

I personally witnessed a complete horror story of a student going early (and living on campus).

But, I can see situations where a child has exhausted what the adults around him/her have to teach. I’d personally try to opt for one of those early colleges where everyone is young. Or at least living at home while still underage and attending college.

But I absolutely agree that is NOT the goal.

The boy had already graduated from University of Houston with 2 degrees: http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2011articles/May2011/051011YoungOld.php

I first learnt about him from his dad’s comments on a 1 star review of Flesch’s ‘Why Johnny can’t read’ on Amazon.com.

Check for the commentator named ‘Robert K. Levy’ on:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RPOCVT0UTXR29/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0060913401&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful
and
http://www.amazon.com/review/RPOCVT0UTXR29/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg2?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2K0I6AZ42NZW7&cdPage=2&asin=0060913401&store=books&cdThread=Tx1JY29E3JSC0J4#wasThisHelpful

So, he is doing well!

What about the goal of happiness?