Instrument sounds

My daughter loves music, but I know nothing about it. Lately when she hears an instrument she can’t identify, she will ask me what it is, and I of course, have no idea. Many times she will tell me, such as “that’s a trombone”, or a French Horn, or whatever. I don’t know the difference, so I just assume she’s right. I was wondering if any of you out there have dvd’s or cd’s that help teach sounds or go into more depth, then the items we already have. We have Baby Einstein Meet the Orchestra, Brainy Baby Music, and Trebellina.

My son is also very into music; I’ve been showing him the Brill Kids Power Points from the free download section, and also in LR. Under ‘music’ there is a nice selection of instrument flash cards, separated into categories (Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion, Strings).

What I’ve done with him is sit and look through one of the categories, then pick one or two instruments and find some YouTube videos of that particular instrument. I’ve typically focused on not more than 2 or 3 instruments in a day so that I can also remember what each one looks and sounds like.

Little Musician will contain detailed lessons on instruments, with pictures, sounds and video. :slight_smile:

Hope to get it out within the first half of this year.

My son (almost 2 yrs old) is also very musical…and, like you, Greyballine, I am sadly uneducated in this field! How I wish now that I would have paid a little more attention in music class!

I have found that the BrillKid downloads and the LR downloads are really quite good. I’ve also taken advantage of the spring concert season. I just took him to a music festival featuring provincial concert bands - next week it’s the jazz bands that are performing. It was great for him to see and hear the instruments live. I also found some good posters at a teacher store (Wind, Percussion & String). My son stares at these regularly pointing out everything - bow, mallets, mouth piece, valves, etc. - including naming them over, and over, and over… Music class (Music for Young Children) has also been really good for both of us in understanding the basics of music (a bit of solfege, rhythm, volume, etc).

I am anxiously awaiting LMusician…but in the meantime, I’ll see if I can find the other videos you have (Greyballine, do you like them equally well? - I have Trebellina) and use your suggestion, 123hereicome, to find some YouTube sites (do you happen to have some specific ones you’d suggest?).