Influence of older children on your child

Do you think older siblings are a good influence on your early learner?

My DS doesn’t have a brother, but his nanny has a second grader.
The older boy plays with my boy for a couple of hours after school, sometimes less, sometimes more.

The nanny insists it’s good (of course she would).
Her boy does very well academically, plays chess, violin, etc., but he is also very active and sometimes hyper-active.
He can be very intense sometimes…

Do you think that in general, younger kids benefit from an older kid around? Or is it very circumstantial?

And conversely, do you think it negatively affects young learners to spend time primarily with younger toddlers or children the same age who may not be as verbal?

TIA

I think it all depends on the situation. I have a 17 , 13, 6, and 4 year old. I think my youngest does benefit from the older ones in many ways. It sounds like your son in my opinion would benefit from this situation. Socializing and learning comes from all different age levels not just one :wink: Hope this helps…

Susan

Yes, I think younger children benefit from having older children around. But I also think it can affect them negatively. It really depends on the older child. Children learn more easily from another child because that child is also developing.

For instance, my older son (at the time he was an only child) was just learning to crawl when his godsister (two years old at the time) came to stay for two days. His development in that two days was amazing! He was speeding around on all fours by the time she left. Personally, I think the realisation that he had to be quick or he wouldn’t get to the toys in time was a strong motivator for him. Up until then, we were trying to encourage him by putting his toys just out of reach and he couldn’t be bothered to go after them. He was also very curious about the things that she did and watched her intently during those two days. I guess it is just easier for them to mimic a child slightly older than them.

Unfortunately, children learn good things as well as bad things from being around other kids. My son was never a screamer but ever since he started playschool, he’s learned to scream. :frowning:

At the end of the day, you’re his Mum and it is up to you to screen his playmates. If you’re not comfortable with your nanny’s boy hanging around, it is your perogative. Older siblings are not an option but your nanny’s boy certainly is. He might be academically advanced and all, but if you think he’s a negative influence in any way to your son (for instance if you suspect that he might bully your son), you shouldn’t allow it. But if he’s generally a good kid who’s just a little hyperactive, then your son stands to benefit from the friendship.

I believe that Mums have an instinct for these things and you should go with your gut. You know your son best and whether this relationship is beneficial for him or not. We can offer you our thoughts and advice, but at the end of the day, your own feelings are the best indicator to follow. Good luck!

From our experience, it is definitely a positive! We have a family of cousins anywhere from 1 year to 11 years older that our eldest. She learns new things from the every time we visit. I can also see that we will have the same phenomenon in our house - our 16 m/o is already trying to teach our 3 m/o her animals, body parts, etc.

I should also add that you should choose the older children wisely. Negative behaviour like trowing, yelling, and tantrums also catch on quickly!