I'm going to the Institutes (IAHP) this weekend!!!

Thank you so much for these updates! I hung on every word.

I agree! Thank you SO much for the update!!! I just came back to reread everything!

Thanks so much for sharing! I have wondered how the course is; it’s great to hear details. Also, if you don’t mind me sidetracking this thread a bit, how are you planning to do Doman with 3? My oldest was just over 3.5 when my third was born in June and I’m really struggling. I’d love to talk to others in the same boat.

Fascinating! I’ve read it several times over now. I was especially interested in the reading section. I didn’t realize that they don’t recommend text pointing at all. I understand their stance…I suppose I just never thought of it that way. They’re trying to have children absorb the information and instill speed reading ability.
As for physical flash cards vs electronics (iPads, computers, etc) to support what you said, I think it’s all in how you use electronics. I actually think that these mediums used in the right way are extremely beneficial. There are so many great learning apps that help reinforce different concepts. Tweedlewink is an excellent example of electronic flashcards, and of course, all of the Brillkids products are so wonderful!
Thank you so much for sharing what you took away from the conference! Karma to you!!

I am also wondering about the text pointing. I’ve done it for so long now and have thought so highly of it, I can’t imagine not doing it! Are they only talking about when there is one sentence per page? With longer books, do they advocate pointing to the sentence (instead of word) you are reading?

Another thing I’m curious about - are you doing anything differently in your home regarding a physical program after having gone to the class?

Thank you so much again!

Many thanks for the post mrseddy! This has been the best read on the IAHP course thus far. My son is 23 mo.s old as well and we have been doing a modified Doman reading and math program so it has been all the more insightful. I am curious if the “graduate level” course is open to all of if this one you have done is a prerequisite.
Remarks on the text pointing, phonics, and dot cards are interesting. In their “teach your baby to read” book IAHP say that while it is not necessary to point a finger while reading, it is fine if the child wants to; just that the adult should continue reading at normal speed. I have read to my child pointing each word from left to right and we also did Tweedlewink multiple times (they have a segment on speed reading) along with lots of RB activities. I think my son can speed read but I think he also enjoys identifying words or blends/digraphs he knows. Sometimes, he is stuck on a word or a sound for so long it makes no sense to read further until he is done with whatever he is doing. Furthermore, most commercial books have so much text crammed between illustrations, I find this approach helpful to keep my son focused on the text (at least when we read a book the second time around). Overall, I don’t think it would hurt to do both. With that being said, while English might not be a phonetic language, some of the others out there are. One of the languages I am teaching him is South Asian and phonetic (IMHO that is; we didn’t have a word to define it that way). When I think about it, I suppose I sight read English but I do have to pause and sound out some words in two of the other languages I know (since a consonant and a vowel together make a character) esp. when I haven’t read them in while. Obviously, these wonderful folks have been researching for decades so I respect their opinion but my point it that sometimes, we may need to modify our approach.
On another note, I will bring out the dot cards just because they were the least used EL product I ever bought.

Thank you so much for sharing. It is very interesting and informative to someone like me who is learning on the go. I stopped with the flash cards once the kids could read and just let them play and be creative but I will start again with a foreign language. What is the recommended reading practice once the child can read? When I read to them I do it at an accelerated speed but run my finger underneath the words. When they read to me I would point to every word. I could stop the pointing altogether but do I then just sit with them while they read? Can I ask questions later to teach/foster comprehension or is this considered testing? I find it more useful to teach new words separately from reading time. Learning new words is almost instantaneous even long, compound words so I think that they are learning by sight most of the time rather than phonetically.

I have also noticed that spelling is a very different skill from reading. Are spelling skills considered more left-brained and should this be left until after 4 years old to develop? We are tracing letters Montessori style and playing with the movable alphabets but the pace is very slow. I am wondering what the institute’s approach is when it comes to spelling, writing and grammar - all the associative skills of reading or language. I hope I have not side-tracked too much but I think that it is true, reading is easier than speaking and spelling etc. That is why I am trying to bridge some of the gaps early so it will be very interesting to know what the experts do.

I realized after I posted that I left out the physically superb component (this is held in very high regard) and the Institutes’ opinion on public schooling. I’ve edited my post above to include those sections.

Wolfwind: I am not at all disillusioned at how hard it will be to implement Doman with three under 3.5. We certainly didn’t follow his recommendation of spreading out our children, did we? ☺ Other than the infant schedule, I don’t think the teaching for the older two needs to be as rigid. I felt much better about that coming out of the Institutes. Frankly, I think kids who show aptitude in certain subject areas – whether it’s math or reading or science or a foreign language – have a true interest in learning that subject. I know there have been many on this forum who have been disillusioned with their children’s math progress but those children who are excelling in it probably have a true passion for it. So, why not feed your child’s passion—whatever it may be? It’s less effort on both parties. For example, if your child is interested in cars, there are so many things you can do with that. You can introduce your child to auto engineering, the manufacturing process, parts of a car, functionality of different internal components, etc. You can incorporate EK and reading cards based on subject interest areas. One of the things stressed at the conference is there is no Doman curriculum that fits all. You have to design something that works for your child(ren) and be flexible without lofty expectations – and sit back and be amazed. My kids don’t necessarily love the dots and certainly weren’t a fan of BK math but I find ways to sneak it in and I’m okay that it’s isn’t their favorite subject area. Why? Because I find other ways to teach it without them realizing that I am. My kids love to manipulate so that’s the “spine” of how I’m teaching math to them. I should also add that my older child (3 year old) is attending preschool a few days a week for 3 hours a day. It’s a gifted program and what interested me about it is they delve into exploration and discovery and do a lot of project/collective group work. He attended a Montessori preschool 2 days a week (6 hours a week) last year and I had major qualms about sending him more than 2 days a week because I wanted to ensure I was able to implement Doman as well. So far, this has worked out wonderfully for our family as I’ve had the chance to do one-on-one work with my younger child while the older one is in school. Then, when the younger one is napping, I focus on Doman with the older one. If they both nap, once up I try to have the older one do some independent learning or let him work on an app while I spend some time with the younger one, then flip flop. I do BK during mealtimes and most days we are able to get enough in. It’s not perfect and some days are not productive but I pick up where we’ve left off the next day and hope that we’re all more receptive ☺ I also generally don’t take the weekends off. I squeeze EK or dots or reading in whenever I can. I can honestly say that moms like us are a different breed. We put our children’s interest above our own. It’s countless the number of moms I know who choose their own comforts first so even though there are days I have my doubts, I know we’ve all created an environment whereby even if our kids get a little boost in life (which I would imagine would be the minimum output considering the level of input, we’ve enriched their lives!)

Regarding text pointing, I tend to agree that you have to take their advice with a grain of salt. I think both phonics and text pointing definitely accelerate an early reader. Once armed with those tools, my son was finally able to truly read. What I observed during the demonstrations for the 2, 3 and 4 year olds , were homemade books put into binder format (each page in a plastic sleeve for easy removal and addition of a new book) and accompanying flashcards that were flashed before the start of reading the book. These were new words that were being taught in the context of the book. Sometimes the child knew the definition, other times the word was defined in the book – for example “diurinal, which means the birds sleep during the day and are up at night”. You obviously want to ensure the child knows the meaning of the word. The rule of thumb is once your child can read smaller and smaller fonts, you can use a library book to read to them and your job of creating books is over. I would follow your child’s lead with this. My son loves the books I create and isn’t interested in small font text yet. So I create a book or two a week with usually 25 new vocab words per book and he gobbles it up. With my younger son, I simply flash the words but with the older son I try to find ways for him to retrieve the information throughout the week – in the form of a game versus testing. I don’t ask him which word is “x” – I say let’s sort by such and such category and assist him as needed. We’ll play games with the words or categorize them or simply use them in context. At any rate, when I read to him, text is on a separate page from pictures and I don’t text point (neither did the moms I observed). Does that mean I never do?? No – if the situation warrants that I point to a word, I will. I imagine that flashing the word card does the trick in teaching him to “read” the word and when I read him the story I’ve seen improvements in his comprehension because he isn’t focused on following along if he wants to bask in the story. I’ll read him the story a couple times a day for several days and some days I see he’s following along (eyes on the page) and when we play the retrieval games he’s showing me he knows the words. Create books based on topics that interest your children! You’ll have much success that way. Also, retention of 50% of 2000 words is much better than retention of 100% of 20 words flashed ad nauseum. Flashing more words with the right frequency and duration keeps the child interested in word 2001.

I remember they mentioned that it’s the child’s choice to prove he can read but not to test him because he sees it as inherently disrespectful. I see this clearly with my son. When I’ve asked him to read in the past, he’s never been excited to show me that he can read (other than the first few times he broke the code). He views it as a test and has never liked to be tested. Our reading sessions stopped being enjoyable. When we ask our children to read out loud, they read slower than they’d read to themselves. Think about when we were in school and were forced to read aloud in class – we were more focused on not making mistakes rather than on comprehending what we were reading. We also generally subvocalize when we read as adults because we learned to read out loud and the majority of us are not fast readers. The rule of thumb is no agenda and no timeline - just give the gift of learning. Now, if your child is a strong reader then they say it’s okay to have them read out loud. You’ll know when they’ve become strong readers when they are gobbling up books independently. Continue to read to them for as long as possible. Janet’s brother just stopped reading to his son who is 17! And you can absolutely discuss a book once you’ve read it to your child. Ask leading questions, like who was your favorite character, etc. You can even stop in the middle of the book and ask your child what he thinks is going to happen next. I wouldn’t consider that testing – more so engaging. That’s different than asking, name the three dogs in the book, etc.

Regarding grammar – I would imagine a child can intuit a lot of rules with enough reading, which naturally comes with age as well – until formal education/homeschooling. They didn’t touch on spelling, grammar, etc. in this course because it’s aimed at ages 0-2 but I think if your child can read a particular word, he will be able to spell that word when the time comes. Remember, a child doesn’t have to be able to speak to be able to read so perhaps similarly, a child doesn’t have to be able to spell to read/comprehend but the ability is probably latent until they are physiologically mature enough to be able to. When I asked about writing, they stressed a physical program can really help with this. Writing is the VII stage of manual competence on the developmental profile. I remember telling them that we discovered Doman when my older one was 2.5 and they said to go back and redo any physical program that we skipped to strengthen areas that were not developed fully. This would apply even if a child went straight from crawling to walking (creeping is what we think of as crawling……crawling to the Institutes is similar to what a newborn does on a crawling track – not on all fours). Writing requires two vital components (straight from Fit Baby, Smart Baby): i) having developed manual ability and independent brachiation the child will have the control needed to write, and ii) enough creeping opportunities is essential in developing excellent convergence so the child can see the detail of pen moving on paper.

As far as a physical program, we have yet to implement an “official” program. Unfortunately, we have very cold winters so our activities have to be indoors for almost 6 months out of the year. We take our kids swimming every weekend. This is really my husband’s project. He’s taken them both since they were infants –even before we discovered Doman. Our 3 year old can now swim. We are in the process of commissioning a carpenter we know to build a brachiation ladder. Neither my husband nor I are particularly handy and frankly, we don’t have the time right now! I’m using every spare moment to get organized before baby comes. I know many of you on here are far more resourceful and there are detailed instructions on how to build one in the physically superb book. I’m debating having a balance beam built or simply finagling one using a 2x4. I finally feel like I have the intellectual part under way and am starting to focus on a physical program. I will update you as we go along.

Lastly, the graduate course admission is preempted on successful completion of the multiply your child’s intelligence course- presumably because it builds on it. The topics covered in the graduate course include the following: the reading pathway, social programs, swimming, laterality, the writing pathway, neurological organization, gymnastics and respiration. It helps link the developmental profile across the columns. I haven’t signed up yet. Come to think of it, I haven’t even told my husband about it. I want to show him I’m implementing what I’ve learned so far before I ask for another “vacation” ☺

I think I just rambled again. Hopefully I’m providing some insight from what I’ve learned and not confusing anyone. I still think a parent’s intuition coupled with your child’s interest is the magic brew. When you’re connected with your child, it’s very powerful. What works for one family may not work for yours and vice versa. But that’s also because no two people are the same. Work to your and your child’s strength and present many opportunities and you’ll find what works. I’m still learning every day.

Thanks for addressing all of the questions. The topic of reading without text pointing or phonics was of great interest to me since my LO seems to really love letters and their corresponding sounds. I do text point when we read books, so I’ll have to see about maybe switching that up a bit. Like you said, we should take everything wih a grain of salt and adjust accordingly for our particular childrens’ interests and learning styles. Again, thanks for the insight!

Yes, thank you. I am so appreciative of your insight and ideas. I can see that a vocabulary study before the story can be very effective. I am also more sensitive to the fact that one boy prefers to read by himself while the other likes to read to me. I need to give some thought here on how to facilitate both. When reading out loud he sometimes add words that are not in the text (although in a correct way grammatically and contextually) or skip words or switch words around. I let it go sometimes so the reading goes faster. He seems to understand the content - but should I be concerned about the mistakes? I wonder if this is normal in a budding reader and that it will self correct in the future. The boys were very different in how they started reading. One just did it and the other liked guessing the words. He still guesses but they seem mostly correct now :clown: . So I know there is probably variation in how they progress as well. Sneaking dots in is a real gem. I agree that how we teach needs to match the child’s interest. If not, they catch on pretty quick that it is more for your benefit and that will be the end of the lesson lol

Thank you for taking the time to post such an extensive summary! I am still digesting it and thinking of questions.

McPherson – isn’t it funny how two kids can learn so differently?? It seems as though your child who likes to read to you either has a creative side which manifests itself into making up words as he reads along, or is trying to impress you with speed and when he sees a word he doesn’t recognize, tries to adjust for it. If he’s making progress with reading (and is comprehending) - which it seems he is, I wouldn’t worry! His learning pathway is different than his brother’s but he’s progressing which is the important thing. Perhaps just keep a mental note when he’s reading of which words seem to give him trouble and do a little flash session containing those words later on in the day or the next day. Conversely, you can read ahead (if he’s reading a chapter book) and make some cards for words you anticipate are new for him so he’s familiar with them before he reads them. Different children = different styles…and they are ever evolving in their interests! It’s always fun to keep up :clown: