Ideas for fun classical music for young children

My DD has become so excited by music in the last few months. It is so wonderful to see her getting so enthusiastic and she really enjoys all kinds of different music. I play all types of music, from world music to classical.

Unfortunately I know very little about classical music and I’m reaching the limits of my knowledge already!! We’ve been playing all four of the Beethoven’s Wig CDs, and I also play various best of classical CDs (which are not always very inspiring). We worked our way through all four movements of Vivaldi’s four seasons and she loves that, especially now after she has heard it many times.

Can anyone recommend any other classical pieces that are quite accessible (both for me and DD!). There is so much music out there - I just don’t know where to start!

Hi Izp11,

I have been thinking about the same thing and I came across some really good classical baby products if ur interested. I’ll just give u some ideas that u might like to have a try:

• We play classical music in the background throughout the day (there is a classical music channel on our TV …no visuals just audio)
  • We do the Brillkids music basic lesson
  • Brillkids musical instruments
  • Ordered Classical Baby 3-Pack - Music, Art & Dance (I loved the sample clip that I watched on youtube)
  • Ordered Mozart for accelerated learning (again good to play while u show ur baby flash cards or any sort of learning activities)…its meant to create alpha waves in the brain which is beneficial for right brain learning.
  • We have a toy piano and a xylophone …she loves it.
  • Also Ordered Tune Toddlers (1 cd of baby maestro) for perfect pitch training (thanks to TeachingmyToddlers)

Future plans:

• Suzuki lessons
  • Piano Wizard/Soft Mozart?

Great idea! My son likes that sample clip so much (and I love it too)! Now I have to have it for both of us lol

Hi Momtobaby

I think we are at a very similar place! Sorry, I probably should have put a bit more detail in my original post. We do have the Classical baby 3-pack and I also really strongly recommend it. My DD and I both love it. The music and the animations are really lovely.

We also work on the brillkids basic music lesson and musical instruments. We started using them a few weeks ago. She loves these so much and always asks for “music” as soon as I turn on the computer. She’s started singing along to some of these and I’ve noticed that she is more and more in tune recently when singing other songs (e.g. twinkle twinkle little star - I got up this morning and could hear her singing to herself in her bedroom this morning - so cute!) So we cannot wait until Little Musician comes out… (we are hoping soon please please please :laugh: )

We have the Trebellina DVD as well which is great.

I will have a look at Mozart for accelerated learning - sounds interesting! And I love the sound of the Tune Toddlers - it’s just is is so expensive @ $30 for one CD

I did try listening to background classical radio but found that we both tended to just tune it out as just that - background. I was never sure if that was all that helpful or not. I’d really like to play a few classical pieces to help us both to get to know the structure of the music and improve our listening abilities. We have music time in the car when going from place to place. So any advice on some easy ‘starter’ composers and pieces by anyone who is knowledgeable about classical music would be great.

Like you, our future plans are also Suzuki classes or maybe PW / SM too. But I’d like to focus on developing her ear and rhythm first, before she needs to worry about coordination of an instrument as well.

wow, i feel so far behind! you mommies are amazing, how do you fit it all in a day :wacko: !?!?!!?!
really well done :yes:
could you pls help me with the link to the products you mentioned, as i’m really new to teaching music to my little ones, tx
Ordered Classical Baby 3-Pack - Music, Art & Dance
Mozart for accelerated learning
Tune Toddlers

http://www.amazon.com/MOZART-ACCELERATED-LEARNING-Roland-Roberts/dp/1899836616
http://www.tunetoddlers.com/tune_toddlers_005.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Baby-Music-Show/dp/B0009WIE3E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1298890069&sr=8-3

There u go happymomof5 …

Regards,
momtobaby

Hi momtobaby, I wanted to ask about the classical baby DVD - is it proper clasical music or is it xylophone-style music?

tx for taking your time, really appreciate it
it’s so great to have the ‘fellowship’ of such dedicated and inspired parents

Hi Sarah,

No its proper classical music by various composers.
Here is a sample if u want to have a look (My personal fav is the cow song :))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxoUAnazvyY

Regards,
Momtobaby

Happymomof5 Ur welcome and Thanks for ur lovely comments.

We just got classical baby and we like it for a change and different approach.

Hi momtobaby,

This is just FANTASTIC!!! I am going to play it for my daughter tomorrow morning and see how she likes it before purchasing the DVD’s, but I am so excited to hear such good quality music for kids. Thanks so much and karma to you!

Momtobaby, OF COURSE the cow song is your favourite, how could it not be! Puccini is simply my fav composer, and the cow is simply divine!